Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 19 year old male who lives in NY who has just been diagnosed with IBS about a week ago after having a lot of the symptoms for 3-4 years. The dominant symptom in my case is almost constant, and sometimes debilitating abdominal pain. I am a college student at SUNY New Paltz, or at least I was until I got notification of academic dismissal. This was my second semester there and the second time a poor academic performance there has forced me to leave. I had a poor first semester, and then I went to a local community college and did well enough that they would take me back. I was allowed back this past Fall 2000 semester, but I had to find a room off campus because I wasn�t guaranteed a dorm room and had no desire to wait until the last minute to find housing. I rented a room by myself and went on with my life as a college student without many problems at the beginning of the semester. My symptoms of IBS got worse (but I didn�t know I had it then) as the semester progressed, and I knew that I wouldn�t be able to conform to the academic standards, which had also been raised due to being a readmitted student. To make things worse, things weren�t going so well with the people I was living in the house with due to IBS (most of them were part of their own �gang� and a conflict with one meant a conflict with them all) and I would eventually be asked by the landlord to leave at the end of the semester. Being in a house full of people you don�t like and living alone with IBS didn�t exactly help out with my academic situation. From a social perspective I had less contact with the friends that I had on-campus as the weather became less favorable to traveling back and forth between my room and school. Walking in freezing weather with a brick in your stomach to class and back was becoming less feasible as the weather and my symptoms got worse. That�s basically the story of my past semester at the school, and here I am now trying to get back into the college, but classes start this next week and I have little time to act. I talked with someone in academic standing and I have to make a retroactive medical withdrawal in order to be allowed to register for this semester. Could someone who has been in a similar situation give me some advice and if you�ve overcome this kind of thing in school? I feel like I�ve been shafted by this whole mess, and I have to convince the academic standing committee to allow me to continue to study there. I�ve been put on some kind of anxiety relief drug, and another pain reliever and fiber supplement, but this whole situation has upset my stomach even more.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It sounds like you have good ideas about getting back into school. I would contact the disabled students center at the school as well. They may be able to help you with the petition to get back in, and once you are in they maybe able to provide services that will help you. One girl here with IBS checked that out at her school and got notetakers, and they intervene with the professors on your behalf. Other than that I have some advice about what put my pain into remission.A combination of Levbid (an long acting antispasmodic) and BuSpar (an anti-anxiety drug that is like an SSRI antidepressant rather than a tranquilizer) got my symptoms under control.My doctor then enrolled me in a clinical trial. I dunno if I would have done this without it, but I am so glad I did. I did a few months of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This and other mind-body techniques have been very useful for reducing the symptoms of IBS for alot of people. See www.ibstherapy.com and www.ibsaudioprogram.com for two that you can do at home.Good LuckK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.