Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,I have read some of the posts on the site but I would still like some help from anyone out there with any suggestions on how to "cure" symptoms of IBS.I had my gall bladder removed in Dec 04 due to extreme pain. I thought that all of my problems would then disappear. In march this year however I started to get extreme cramping pains & nausea that got so bad I would start vomiting. I also seem to get alternate bouts of constipation & diarrhoea & so I am loathe to take any medication for curing either of these for fear that I would get the other. Stress is a major factor, which unfortunately I can't do all that much about in my current job. As far as diet is concerned the only thing that seems to trigger it is brown bread?? So I have to eat white bread!!! Sometimes I feel bloated but it doesn't seem to matter what I eat?? Does anyone know what helps the cramping pain, because it is terrible!!! Someone suggested peppermint oil but that does not work!! Any help would be very much appreciated!!!Angie!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for your reply. I did get diagnosed in June this year after spending a week in hospital. I have had a prescription for anti-spasmodic tabletscalled Spasmonal but they don't do anything at all for me. Maybe I should try something else??? Not sure. Getting stress under control is a good idea. I was also on anti-depressants for a couple of weeks that did help me initially (Sinequan) but I stopped taking them as I didn't want to become dependant on them - the worst thing I guess is that it doesn't take much in the way of stress / anxiety to make an episode occur???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your reply. I did get diagnosed in June this year after spending a week in hospital. I have had a prescription for anti-spasmodic tabletscalled Spasmonal but they don't do anything at all for me. Maybe I should try something else??? Not sure. Getting stress under control is a good idea. I was also on anti-depressants for a couple of weeks that did help me initially (Sinequan) but I stopped taking them as I didn't want to become dependant on them - the worst thing I guess is that it doesn't take much in the way of stress / anxiety to make an episode occur???

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know why my story sig double posted?Anyhow I have had great success with Donnatal anti-spasmodic. I take Buspar a mild seditive for my anxiety and it is non habit forming and does not make you tired like anti-depressants do.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know why my story sig double posted?Anyhow I have had great success with Donnatal anti-spasmodic. I take Buspar a mild seditive for my anxiety and it is non habit forming and does not make you tired like anti-depressants do.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
aegannon.What you have is most likely bile salts diarrhea and not really IBS. Since having you gall bladder out it has gotten worse and before that you can not say how long your GB was not functions properly.I have made a big difference with the same problem taking regular doses of calcium carbonate with my food 3 times a day.I will send you the info or you can go to the OTC section of this board to read some of the post.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
aegannon.What you have is most likely bile salts diarrhea and not really IBS. Since having you gall bladder out it has gotten worse and before that you can not say how long your GB was not functions properly.I have made a big difference with the same problem taking regular doses of calcium carbonate with my food 3 times a day.I will send you the info or you can go to the OTC section of this board to read some of the post.Linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.