Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear on the grape vine through a very good friend who is in the health profession that there is a new drug for IBS on the market but only available for women, I think she said its called Zaflon or Safflon, can anyone find this out, or has heard of it? ITs new out as in this last month...... Waiting to hear more news on it, its supposed to stop it DEAD.... Well lets wait and see, ask around and get back if you can.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am told its over £100 a bottle, my friend told me quickly on the phone the other day she is a retired nursing sister, whos son has chronic ibs and is fighting to get some of this medicine as he lives in USA but its only available for women, I have emailed her tonight to get the specific name of it,

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've heard of a new medicine called Alosetron that is being studied for IBS-D. According to the nurse, it is a "miracle drug". I have IBS-C so I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The only new drugs (FDA approved kinda thing) is Zelnorm for IBS-C but it is woman with IBS-C and men and woman with chronic constipation that is not IBS.A few other things are in the pipeline.Lotronex (generic name alosetron) Is for IBS-D (it is approved not just being studied) It is for IBS, but neither it nor Zelnorm is NEW LAST MONTH.There are a few others in the pipeline, but approval looks doubtful. so they are new last month either.Not sure what they could be talking about.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts