Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently dicovered this BB and am happy to know that there is support out there for IBS sufferers. I am a 29 year old woman who is trying very hard to maintain an active, normal life in NYC. I have had IBS-D for many years and it has become increasingly difficult in the past year. As a result (I think) I have started feeling increasingly anxious and am contemplating taking Paxil. I have read about Lotronex and am guardedly hopeful about its prospects. In the meantime, I am hoping that someone might have a good gastroenterologist recommendation in manhattan. I have been so dissapointed with the doctors I have seen. Also - any info on experiences with Paxil?Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nab,Welcome to the board.You are sure to get some good advice and info from the great folks on this board.....------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi nsb, Welcome to the BB. You picked the best place for support and understanding. I am also a New Yorker and I live in Brooklyn. I called the International Foundation for Functional G.I. Disorders and they faxed me a list of MDs who are supportive and understanding. I, in fact, have an appt on Thursday with a doc who is in Brooklyn, so I am VERY hopeful. They send you out a pamplet with info and for each MD their is a section on their expertise and what they specifically do. The toll free number is 1-888-964-2001.Welcome and good luck... Jim------------------OF all the Divine qualities, the GREATEST of those is COMPASSION and TRIUMPH of the human spirit!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim,Thanks for the information. I called the foundation and they faxed me the list for New York. I'll start researching a few of the doctors. Hopefully one of them will be on my health plan.I really appreciate the help. Good luck with your new doctor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Try acupuncture. You should be albe to find a good one in NY. I have got great results, almost cured after 6 times.take care/Jens

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hello nsb and welcome to the Board! Hopefully you'll find a good doc with the information Jim has given you. Keep us posted on what you find out!
Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi. I'm an ex-New Yorker, but I was there ten years ago and IBS was unknown (or not taken seriously). I took Paxil for 4 years for depression/anxiety. I recommend it and I would definitely consider some kind of therapy simultaneously. One last thing, being in New York is great, but you have to work extra hard at creating good relaxation time. good luck.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi nsb:I forgot to mention that I am also taking Paxil for anxiety, and I find it to be a great help.
Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am a New Yorker with a terrific health plan and I have seen many of the gastroenterologists listed in New Yofrk Magazines "Best Doctors in New York" issues. Presbyterian Hospital in New York (at west 168th Sreet has a special IBS program) I got more help form this BB. See my recent post about what has worked for me. Colestid and Caltrate - my diarrhea is finally gone after years of suffering.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also live in New York and have 2 reccomendations. Dr.Howard Bezoza is a wholistic medical doctor who helped to diagnose my food allergies. (I have many and apparently have had them since I was young, I am now 48. The effect these allergies had on my gut resulted in IBS-D until I was diagnosed and put on medication. Now I experience D most of the time but occasionally take too much medication and become constipated-such is life)Being an wholistic dr. however, he did not prescrip any medications. I have a GI, Dr. Simon Lichteger, 212-831-4900 who diagnosed the IBS and suggested Amitryptilin to help organize the gut (it is an anti depressant). I have been taking it about 2 years now and what a life changer! I will never be normal, but at least now I have some control and even some painfree and D free days (few and far between but I do treasure them). Dr. Lichteger also prescriped pro-banthine as an anti-spasmodic which I take when I have cramps, pain etc. It has worked for me although I have yet to find anyone else who has used it for IBS.(anyone out there?)Hope this helps, there is no cure but there are things we can do to improve our health. Keep looking for your answers, maybe these doctors will be helpful.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
nsb - Hi. Welcome to the board!I'm from Canada so can't offer you any help physician wise. And I've never taken anti-depressants either so can't help there either. But, I'm wondering if you've tried the Caltrate Plus for your "D"? I assume you've read about it here? I found it to help me - a lot! Gave me back my life I'd say! Doesn't work for everybody but it has helped a lot of us here.Anyway, I hope you soon find something to help you feel better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. I work in Manhattan and live in New Jersey. It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I'm only 30 years old and it can be depressing when I have a string of bad days. I feel like I can't lead a normal life!But, I have found a wonderful doctor in Manhattan who really understands. I just saw her today in fact!Her name is Dr. Wendy Aronson, M.D. and her number is (212) 249-2220. She is on 90th Street at Madison Ave. She specializes in IBS.Give her a try. She makes me feel at ease and my problem has improved greatly since she started treating me. I received two new medications today. I'll let everyone know how they work in a few days once the effects kick in.Good luck!Andrea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for all of your advice. I now have appointments coming up with a couple of new doctors. I'm hopefull that I will find someone who is a good fit. I will let you know how it turns out.I am overwhelmed by how many of you have found Caltrate helpful and I have just started taking it. So far - so good. Still debating the Paxil. Will talk to some of the new doctors and see what they recommend.I am so happy to have all of you as a new resource and look forward to being able to share some of my own advice.Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
nsb - glad to hear that the Caltrate is helping you. Just remember that sometimes it takes awhile to find the right dose for you. I started at 2 a day, but found I needed 3 and now am able to do quite well on only 2. So, sometimes I think people get discouraged if it doesn't work right away - its a matter of finding what works for you. I hope it continues to work for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi nsb, I'm from Long Island and 27 yrs old, the mother of a two year old.I have a FANTASTIC GI from Manhassett, but don't know if you'd want to travel in.As far as the antidepresant goes give it a try. I was so against it because I guess of the stigma it has being on an antidepressant and fought taking it. I finally said what the hell and it was the best thing I ever did. We were going on vacation and I really needed something to make me just chill out you're not left dopey or anything, you really don't notice any difference except when you look back at the day and you're like, "wow, that was really a great day." I have been taking zoloft for about four months and it's really helped.
Hope things work out for you. feel betterMickey
[This message has been edited by mickey (edited 01-05-2000).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts