Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...I'm new here and now wonder why it has taken me so long to find all of you. I was dx w/IBS a long time ago. My dr at the time was not at all helpful and so I just blew him off and have lived with this all these years and I guess accepted it as normal. About a year or so ago I was having IBSw/D all the time. It got so bad that I did finally go to a dr about it. She told me to take metamucil and hyocymine, which I did. My symptoms got a little better. Now over the last 6 months it has gone the complete opposite of what it was. I have been sick all the time with nausea and vomitting. Gnawing pain and extreme fullness in my upper gut area in the center, like there is a softball in there. It got so bad that I went to the ER. I was x-rayed, blood tested, urine, and ekg. Showed nothing. Dr. scratches her head and orders an ultrasound. Nothing. So, how about a cat scan?...Nothing. I took it upon myself to get a consult w/a gastro dr and he mentioned it could be dyspepsia. He ordered tests. This past Tuesday I went for an upper GI endoscopy and a flex sig. He took 7 biopsies from my stomach. Is it normal to take that many?? The flex showed a polyp but he did not take it out. How come? I am awaiting results on the biopsies. April 12th I get the pleasure of having a colonoscopy. I have gone along with what drs. are telling me and have gone along w/all the poking and prodding but WHY didn't he just order a colonoscopy the first time around. I have to drink clear stuff all that Monday and eat nothing then drink the gatorade and phos. soda stuff. I'm frustrated as all get out here. I'm sick and I'm tired and I feel as though my gut may explode at any minute.
I'm hoping that I can get some real answers here where people understand about IBS...if that's what I really have or not. I don't know what to do or think anymore. Scans, scopes, needles, pills, powders. I'm mad, sad, frustrated, irritated, aggitated and I could go on for ever w/it. I want HELP. I AM NOT IMAGINING WHAT IS GOING ON W/MY BODY!! Bless my pastor, he says "if you keep saying you're sick, you're going to continue being sick." I don't want to be sick. IT'S VERY REAL & UNCOMFORTABLE AND AT TIMES VERY PAINFUL. Am I just supposed to pretend that this is not happening. I'm confused.
My regular dr. said to come back and see her after all the appts. w/the gastro dr. if they didn't find anything. She would then refer me to a general surgeon and he would cut me open and have a little peek inside. I THINK NOT!! Have I gone wrong somewhere? I'm just a guinee pig these days and then it makes me think...geeeee maybe there is nothing wrong. I know in my heart though that is not true. ANY SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, CRITISISMS OR WITISISMS would be greatly appreciate. I'm suffering and not getting anywhere.

G

·
Blessed my duck - you are actually reasonably fortunate - at least your GP has taken you seriously, you have had all the nasties done in respect of tests and you can concentrate on trying to manage IBS - not a picnic I know but you are certainly NOT alone. I'm 42 and have had IBS for at least 9 years - I have good days and bloody awful ones - try to find foods that don't make you feel too rotten, something nice - a glass of red wine maybe that helps when you do feel rotten and stay in touch via this site.All the very best to youSue, Manchester

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Gremlin,I have ben through all the same test as you and all the dr keeps saying is you have ibs.im fed up of hearing the same stuff over and over from dr's. best thing to day is try and find away to help yourself. keep a diary of everything you eat and if you have a reaction afterwards. i know your sitting there thinking i cant be bothered with all that but sometimes it can help. if you cut out the main offenders, you may find some relief. find someway to de-stress yourself, whether it be listing to music, going for a slow walk or like the lady said before having a glass of wine, anything to relax your body. I find that the more i think about ibs, the more tense i get, the worse i feel. try to hang in there we all know how hard and fustrating ibs is. feel free to let it all our anytime.
Good luck,Pam xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
O God I know what torment you are going through I am in it too. I would find it a blessing it you would email me to chat and help each other cope. My church family and prayer is my only support. God bless

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow. You've been through the surgical mill! But, as someone said, at least it is all with a view to find out and help. Finding doctor's to take you seriously these days is really hard. You have all my sympathies, I know exactly how exhausting and miseryfying this is. Look after your mental health as best you can with this, it can really drag you down. So it's important you recognise the strain you are under in coping with this, and keep going with the tests in hope. It never hurts to research the internet. My friend was diagnosed with Chrone's and with some research online she found a site (like this one) that had a diet that seemed to change so many people's lives. She did it, and has been virtually symptom free since. Might we worth having a look around and trying - if you feel like you are trying different things to help yourself, you will feel more control, more hopeful, and may even find the solution.Wish you luck x

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
welcome to the club gremlin!
sorry i dont mean to take the **** but having a sense of humour as well as ibs surely helps! if i didnt have a sense of humour then id go MAD!! if you ever wanna vent your anger im on the pc a lot and its ok i can take it! (i was once married to adolph ###) so i can take people dictating and having a moan!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dear GremlinUnfortunately what you describe is par for the course for most IBS sufferers. The upside to having all those tests (and negative results) is that you can stop worrying about having a life threatening disease. Once you have ruled that out, you can start making lifestyle/diet changes that may help. You can also start telling the unbelievers (it's all in your head etc.) where to get off. Fifteen years into IBS, I've been through tests, antidepressants, a multitude of 'alternative' therapies and there are a three basic strategies that work consistently for me. I eat a relatively spartan diet - grains, vegetables, fruits, turkey, whole grain bread, small amounts of dairy - it's pretty much trial and error, because there is no one IBS diet profile. I exercise every day and I do yoga. Stress reduction (yoga, meditation, hypnotherapy, talk therapy, using this board etc.) along with dietary changes and exercise are approaches you'll see repeatedly used all over this board. Blessings, good luck and keep posting and asking questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate all of the input I am getting here and suggestions of how I can learn to help myself. Today I am preparing for a colonoscopy for Tueday morning. I have made myself plenty of jello so I can get the sensation of eating something solid at least for a second or two.
Have plenty of clear liquids on hand. Have never had this test before but it can't be any worse than an upper GI and a flex sig. at the same time. Thank God for sedation. I'm very tired of being miserable and all these physical things are causing me to slip into a depression which I cannot afford to be in due to the fact that I'm also bipolar. Thank you everyone. It means alot that other people care and can help one another. I will be back here very often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.