Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ibs-d sufferers. I am new here. I started a low carb diet yesterday. Today was much better than some days. I only ran to the loo 4 times today. Of course I had to find the rest room while shopping...always a challenge! I'll take 4 trips over 10 any day!I am a little concerned with not getting enough potassium. I have had leg cramps from low potassium when I did low carb in the past. I am pretty convinced that I have a few issues going on...I guess that is common around here! First I think I am sensitive to wheat gluten. Second I believe I have a problem with yeast from antibiotic/prednisone therapy for asthma. So I opted to try the low carb diet since I know I felt better when I did low carb for weight loss about 12 years ago. I can add a probiotic powder to my food. But what do you do to add potassium if you aren't eating bananas or drinking oj? My history consists of cramps and bloating, constipation and diarhea as a youngster. In my teens when I had my monthly cycle, I had terrible cramping and diarhea. As I got older my symptoms increased. I began having bouts of bleeding and extreme abdominal pain which was diagnosed as diverticulitis. My ibs symptoms have been horrible over the last 15 years. I am so tired of it I am willing to try anything! I can't go anywhere and everything revolves around "how I feel". I am sure you all know what I am talking about. Anyway here I am! My dh has ibs with bouts of constipation and diarhea. He has little pain with his symptoms although in the last couple of years he has developed more pain. He suffers with bloating and horrible churning and glub glub glubbing noises that can be heard across the room! He has not had the pain like I get and so he is not as desperate as I am for help. In other words he eats whatever he wants and pays the price afterwards. I hope to learn from you and to be of help if I can be. Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
u can get potassium from any health food store or pharmacy, no Rx..........it's common..........i take it, too...........if u look up my other posts, u'll get a good idea of what i do for all the things u mentioned.........just click on my name & u can c the posts.......... the reason the high protein diet helped the asthma, is cause the excess insulin from high carbs is really bad for any kind of inflammation..........can u tell me what happens to ur stomach issues when u get potassium??.........that would b interesting..........also, have u tried turmeric & or calcium for the D??...........also, some betaine hydrochloride might help ur stomach.....u can get that at a health food store, too.............hope u get better............my only advice is to stay away from drugs........they r only bandaids for desperate people, that's what drug companies r living & hoping for........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I only take donnatol when I get a bad attack of pain and diarhea that is non stop. It is the only thing I have found to help with the extreme pain and cramping. That is the only medication I take. I have never taken limotil or any of those types of drugs. I guess I have been afraid to try them. It seems that everything causes problems! Anyway I am giving the low carb a try to see if it will help with ibs symptoms.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
CC Welcome :(Just so you know...There is NO problem with taking the donnatol. Just Crstar and others prefer to not take any rx's. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking them!Talk to your Dr. or pharmacist about any potassium supplements if you are considering taking them.Here is a list I found of Potassium rich foods. Hope some are on the low carb diet:http://www.weightlossforall.com/potassium-rich-food.htmAll the best

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you ever had testing for celiac disease? It's an important piece of information for doctors to have, plus it will help you determine if you should be avoiding gluten or not. However, I have heard of a few people who have negative celiac testing who still have issues with gluten and tend to avoid it anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.