Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I'm new here...just found the site today, and I can't tell you what a relief it is to finally have somewhere to read about IBS and chat to people suffering the same thing! I live in Sydney Australia, and most people don't have a clue what IBS is all about.I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor (whenever I mention IBS they either dismiss me, or think I'm a self-diagnosing hypochondriac trying to do their job for them), but my symptoms seem to fit the descriptions on these pages. Over the last year or so, I have experienced problems particularly with severe alternating constipation and diarrhea. Embarrassingly, I have soiled myself several times in public as well. My energy levels have dropped dramatically...I'm just so tired all the time. Plus, for the first time in my life I have experienced painful indigestion. It's incredibly upsetting and nobody seems to understand. I'm so relieved to have found this web-site, and I thank you all for your stories...they really have helped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi! Im fairly new to this IBS stuff also and have had some of the same awlfull experiences, It is embarrassing but it happens, I do carry extra clothes with me now. I also have a lot of stomach pain, and have had over the last year or so. Ive had every test in the book and Im sick of it all. This is a great place and the people here all know what we are going thru. I will put you in my prayers. Sophiarose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope you find good releif and good advice Pookie! The bb is better with advice I think than the doctors are! Take care!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi Pookie! I'm a newbie here as well!Isn't this board the greatest?! Take care!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Pookie, and welcome to the Board. I'm sorry that you are sufering so much. That's awful that you can't get the docs to take you seriously. Have they run any tests at all? It sounds like it's time to find a new doc.Anyway, this BB is a great place with lots of good information, tips, and great people. We're glad you're here.
JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for all your support...it really helps. I almost cried with relief when I found this message board...I wanted to ask you all for some advice: firstly, have any of you heard of the benefits of aloe vera in treating IBS?? I read something in a health foods mag that mentioned it. Secondly, what do you think of peppermint oil tablets?? I bought some today, but the packet says it may cause heartburn, and seeing that is one of my symptoms, I'm not too keen to try them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Pookie:I've heard a lot of people talking about aloe on the board, and, like anything else, some people have said it helped, while others say it hasn't. You can either do a search for the work aloe in the subject line, or start another thread asking about aloe in the title. I've never used it myself.If you have heartburn you shouldn't use the peppermint capsules, because they do aggravate it. I don't have GERD, and did use them for a while and they seemed to help a bit. I had to quit, though, because they are expensive.Hope this helps!
JeanG

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hmm...I'm afraid that I don't know a thing about aloe vera and peppermint oil tablets. I will be curious to find out what the others here have to say about them! Sounds interesting...

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Pookie:I forgot to add, for anyone who is going to try the peppermint, make sure you get the enteric coated once so that they don't dissolve until they get to your intestines.JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome from the other side of the World (UK)I only joined the board yesterday, but have been reading it for the last month. Everyone is so kind and understanding.I luckily have only had 1 accident, and that was when I was walking my dogs. I live in the country, so luckily it wasn't in front of anyone (except the dogs, and they didn't seem to mind!!)It sounds as if you ought seek further advice before you try the peppermint oil if you already get heartburn. I take them and find they are quite good (personnally, I have not experienced side effects - well only when my doctor ran out of my usual ones and gave me a different brand. They made my poo smell of peppermint! And I didn't have to worry if I got wind in public - people thought I was chewing peppermint gum, but I had the last laugh, 'cos I knew I had just farted!Anyway, I'm rambling - hope to speak to you again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts