Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 29, female, and over the last couple years been struggling with various bowel problems.I've never been a regular "goer" to begin with, but I really had a battle with C for about a year. I tried various diet changes, otc meds and home enemas were a party in a box! ;-)Then after having a colonoscopy and finding nothing but a very twisty and turny colon which any harder stool would be a challenge to pass, I seemed to get better (peace of mind maybe?). I was good for a year and then recently started having bouts of D once a week or so, just a couple hours in the evening - thought it was food poisoning at first, then thought it was flu, then after the 3rd bout, thought maybe a parasite? Gut wrenching cramps - made me think appendix? Then my guts would ache the next day but I wouldn't go to the bathroom anymore for the next week (or very little). What little I could pass, I would find mucus present. I was so tired, I thought I was pregnant and took a test! Negative.So after a doc appointment last week he told me his suspicion was IBS. I had blood taken to test for anemia and irregular thyroid function (no results yet), but the attacks are so painful I am concerned he has overlooked any other tests for something of more concern. No stool sample asked for, and I'd hate to have another colonoscopy cuz that was the worst thing ever! (the prep - ugh!)I was up last night until 2 a.m. with D and then almost threw up cuz I felt so drained and strangely hungry at the same time. My reflux is also acting up (I was on Prevacid last year for a couple months), and I panic easily (not hypochondriac but close. :)).I have no fever which I think rules out major things like infection etc.....So that's my story. If it is indeed IBS I am so grateful to find a support group because it is definately life affecting and my hubby says I need an outlet - he too gets frustrated with my constant feeling of unwell and lack of energy. I recently joined a gym thinking more excercise would help? I also have 2 young children that require my full time attention and energy. My questions are, because I have both D and C I am wondering how to change my diet accordingly (I know my doc will have some insight - I see him in a month)and if I can take anything when these bouts happen or will that do more harm than good (ie, Immodium,Gravol or Pepto?)?Thanks so much for listening...er reading. ~J~

·
Registered
431 Posts
hey! welcome! since i joined this forum i have learnt so much and had support from people, so stick around, it really helps to talk to people who are going through what you are
with regards to taking something to help i recommend immodium, it helps me a lot. and to my knowledge it doesnt do any harm. there was a discussion a few weeks on here about it. ill find it and bump it up just incase you havent seen it or want to have a read.take care, hope it all goes well with your doc when you see him next xXx

·
Registered
431 Posts
ive bumped up a previous discussion about immodium and pepto, hope it helps in some way xXxp.s. in the diarrhea forum half way down the page there a discussion called 'immodium-too much' that you might find useful

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi there
I too am a mum (of 3) and it is hard to be a mum when you feel so sick all the time. I mostly suffer from the D side of things so might not be a huge help to you but can certainly sympathise with what you are going through. My DH gets very frustrated with me always being too sick and too tired to do anything much too. It's hard on them and we can see that but I'm not sure they get just how hard it is on us just to attempt to function as normal human beings (well as close to normal as we can get). Have you tried a fibre supplement to help with the D/C? I'm sure you'll find lot's of useful info on these boards and make loads of friends who know just what you are going through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much! I have been a faithful Metamucil drinker (I know there's nicer things out there but I like the orange flavor and it helps me drink more water) but aft6er I started getting the D side of things I got scared off thinking that I was drinking too much. But even after I stopped drinking it i still get the D about once every week and a half and the C is just worse the rest of the week so i started with it again.I look forward to getting to know people who can relate and although it sucks that other people suffer, it's nice to know people can relate and I'm not alone.Cheers!~J~

·
Registered
53 Posts
i was told today that i have ibs for sure. this time the doc was so helpful. i was given a leaflet on ibs, told to cut things out for a week or so then introduce them gradually to see if that makes a difference. she said that wheat, some fruits, caffine could be trigger foods. but it is all down to the individual!!Stress can be a trigger which i know is hard when you have little ones.this forum has a lot of useful information on it and the members are really helpful.hope some of this helps

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
)I'm probably starting to sound like an advertisment (I hope not
) but I can't handle fibre supplements so I take slippery elm 3 times a day. It works for both C and D and normalises bowel function. To date it's been the best thing I've ever tried, maybe if you can't handle metamucil (I find this gives me violent pain and major D) maybe try slippery elm?

·
Registered
348 Posts
truekb Screamer FairyHave you looked on ..?[/URL] This site also has very active bulletin boards and has been set up by a lady who has suffered with ibs since she was 9.I have been living with ibs.d for over 30 years but it is only in the past 10 months since finding this site and .. that I have been able to obtain some control over my ibs.In my case I would say that adding a soluble fiber supplement and .. diet has been the most help to me. I also take acidopholus. I think one of you mentioned coffee - coffee is one of the biggest ibs triggers.If you go to ...com there is a lot of information to read and take on board - but do not be put off - if I can find helop after 30 years plus I am sure others can.

·
Registered
348 Posts
P.S.Whatever supplements you add and diet changes you make - you must give it time. Not just a few days - I would say at least a month maybe even longer. My stability only began to happen after about 6 months but I figure I have battled with this for over 30 years so whats 2 years to try and get a handle on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts