Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,I've just signed up to the Community today in order to get some support and maybe meet some new friends.Have suffered from IBS for about 13 years now - I am 33 years old. It's a mix between IBS-C and IBS-D, but having trouble with the -D form for the past couple of weeks and I am suffering a little at the moment. Mine is set off by certain foods and stress but I do get myself into a Catch 22 where, when it starts, the IBS makes me anxious which makes things even worse. I've been off work for the past couple of days to try and get over this bad bout. Take care.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi there,You have found a good place.Like you I have my bad patches and good patches.I constantly have IBS but some weeks its worse than others.If im going through a really bad time I try and break a 'pattern im in'.Others may disagree but I will break a bad run of days by some of the following ideas. (you will have done most of these cas you have had it for 13 years!!!!)1. Excercise. Two hours in the gym can break a cycle. Get things moving or firm up a BM.2. Avoid any food on your dread list. Beef and anything fatty is a big no no for me. You will have your own list.3. I dont take these often but i will take quite a few Ibuprofen on one day to help relax my muscles on a very bad cycle. It can break up a bad time i have found. Again i dont say take these often.4. I eat stew. This is clean healthy and easy to process. I make an Irish stew with small amount of lamb. I find this is light on the system.5. Lots of sleep. A massive 12-14 hour sleep binge can help break a cycle.6. In extreme circumstances I get drunk. Many people will say its a big no no. However its good escape and sometimes relaxes you and again can alter a cycle. 7. Magnesium tablets. I have used these and they will loosen up the stool but I still have constipation. I dont know if you get it but I can have loose stools but still be constipated. Weird hey.8. If you miss a meal time or even two it can break a cycle. This is also true in the way that if i have a good cycle and miss a meal then it can go back to bad. If things are going well dont miss a meal.I dont know what sets off a bad episode. I havent successfully isolated anything ever.Im convinced its IBS that causes the anxiety though. Not the other way around. I think the anxiety is a chemical release that you body induces to help try and have a BM. I also agree that stress makes IBS worse. One thing I have found is that the worse my IBS c is the worse my nightmares are. I have terrible anxiety dreams. When I wake up I am ok after I pass gas that has built up. I really have some horrific dreams when my IBS is bad. These are just my random thoughts.They dont help for everyone and have no scientific basis whatsoever. I have been in a good place for the last 4 days and I like to post when I am feeling well as well as unwell.Good luck to you xx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.