Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the board. I just happen to find this board earlier, but then either got busy or some other things that I haven't really read the posts or posted to the board until now. I have had IBS officially since last summer, but I believe I had it since I was a teen or before. I always thought it was a nervious stomach and whenever I did new things, like going into the Army reserve/national guard, I was always sick to my stomach but nothing would come up. I also would have major Diarrea. I found out that it came when I had a lot of stress, but didn't think things were stressful.
I usually drink 8oz of Citricel and take the medicine Pamalor, but sometimes I still feel sick to my stomach and have to drink down a couple of teaspoons of Mylanta, which today isn't working.
Do any of you know what else that I can do to keep from feeling this way?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome!!
Some people find that Caltrate works. Some people find hypnotherapy works. Some people find a lifestyle change works.Stick around for awhile...read lots of posts, and you'll see all your different options...there are many!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi, welcome to the BB
If you find stress/nerves/anxiety really effects your symptoms, you can take measures to combat that, including Hypnotherapy (anxiety or gut specific) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. If you get D with nerves or stress, you could take Imodium/loperamide which is an antidiarrhoeal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Mackey, and welcome.I almost feel like I'm gonna get flamed here 'cause I keep saying this (although I know this is a great group of people who wouldn't do that!). ANYWAY...I believe diet is key. Have you changed your eating habits at all since you were diagnosed? I know there are some people on this board who have IBS no matter what they do or don't eat...but for many of us, what we put into our systems determines whether or not we're going to have an attack.Here are a couple links for you from the nutrition board: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=4;t=000215 http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=4;t=000122 Hope this helps,Jane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I will be talking to him about all of this. On joining the reserves, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have joined most likely. It might be different for different people, but whenever I have my two week duty, my IBS flares up. Sometimes more then other times. I would most likely not recommend it, but who knows. On the diet, I haven't changed diet since since the doctor told me that I had IBS. The only change was drinking down the Citruscel since I was already on Pamalor for my Adult ADD. Mackey

·
Registered
57 Posts
A couple things have worked for me.1. Immodium or generic equivalent. I also take this when traveling whether I feel good or not as they shut down the colon and keep me away from having to visit the restroom to often.2. Pepto Bismol. Just because it is old doesn't mean it doesn't work.3. Keep Pepto or Immodium with you at all times(especially away from home) and you have something that will give you quick relief.4. You may want to try a low-carb diet (Like Atkins)for a brief period of time to see if your symptoms go away. Many of us have found that complex carbohydrates like sugar, bread and pasta give our digestive symptoms trouble. If your symptoms go away, then put back the carbs back one at a time to see which ones cause you trouble.4. Get rid of the junk food, especially candy, baked goods, cookies, chips, pretzels. It sucks, but you'll feel better and probably lose a few pounds along the way.5. Don't overeat in one sitting. I feel worse when I'm stuffed. Eating smaller amounts several times a day is easier on the digestive system than one big meal.6. Don't eat after 8:00 P.M.(earlier if possible)and you won't feel so bad when you go to sleep (or do something else) at night.7. Vietnamese Food - My fiancee is Vietnamese. I have yet to find a Vietnamese dish that bothers my stomach. My favorite is Pho, a beef broth and rice noodle soup. Hey. It's worth a shot.Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.