Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!I came across this forum in Google and it looks like a very helpful place for IBS sufferers.I was diagnosed with IBS just over two years ago. At the time the doc diagnosed me with IBS right away without testing me which I wasn't happy about. I had to ask my doc to do tests for other things but all came back negative. As well as IBS I have been anaemic in the past and still have a very low iron count and b12 count. I don't know if this is because these vitamins are maybe not being absorbed by my body due to the diarrhea? Has anyone else with IBS-D had problems with low vitamin levels?Anyway I look forward to your replies

·
Registered
168 Posts
As well as IBS I have been anaemic in the past and still have a very low iron count and b12 count. I don't know if this is because these vitamins are maybe not being absorbed by my body due to the diarrhea? Has anyone else with IBS-D had problems with low vitamin levels?
I would definitely have your doctor follow up on the vitamin B12 deficiency to find out why your deficient - One of the causes can be inflammation in the small intestines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone!I came across this forum in Google and it looks like a very helpful place for IBS sufferers.I was diagnosed with IBS just over two years ago. At the time the doc diagnosed me with IBS right away without testing me which I wasn't happy about. I had to ask my doc to do tests for other things but all came back negative. As well as IBS I have been anaemic in the past and still have a very low iron count and b12 count. I don't know if this is because these vitamins are maybe not being absorbed by my body due to the diarrhea? Has anyone else with IBS-D had problems with low vitamin levels?Anyway I look forward to your replies
Hi Blondie, I was recently diagnosed with IBS in November 09 but have been suffering from its symptoms since I was about 17 and I also suffer from GERD. Because I kept getting so sick the doctors continually were running tests on me. I have also been anemic for many years, probably since the time I remember my IBS starting. As well as suffering from minor anemia my Vitamin B-12 levels were down during testing as well. When I spoke to my GI doctor regarding this, they said it was due to the fact that I was not digesting the vitamins as you expected. I was placed on vitamin B-12 drops for a few month which brought the levels back up. You may want to check with you doctor to see if you can be placed on the drops. Also a small tip I actually just picked up a few days ago was trying the "BART" diet during attacks. BART stands fro Bananas, Applesauce, Rice and Tea. I have to say that the past 3 days I have been sticking to it closely and it has really helped with my bad attacks. If you are still having attacks I would give it a try. I sure hope this was helpful. I hope you start feeling better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely have your doctor follow up on the vitamin B12 deficiency to find out why your deficient - One of the causes can be inflammation in the small intestines.
Hi blondeoverblue24,I had an endoscopy done last year which didn't show anything. Would this have shown the inflammation you are talking about? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Blondie, I was recently diagnosed with IBS in November 09 but have been suffering from its symptoms since I was about 17 and I also suffer from GERD. Because I kept getting so sick the doctors continually were running tests on me. I have also been anemic for many years, probably since the time I remember my IBS starting. As well as suffering from minor anemia my Vitamin B-12 levels were down during testing as well. When I spoke to my GI doctor regarding this, they said it was due to the fact that I was not digesting the vitamins as you expected. I was placed on vitamin B-12 drops for a few month which brought the levels back up. You may want to check with you doctor to see if you can be placed on the drops. Also a small tip I actually just picked up a few days ago was trying the "BART" diet during attacks. BART stands fro Bananas, Applesauce, Rice and Tea. I have to say that the past 3 days I have been sticking to it closely and it has really helped with my bad attacks. If you are still having attacks I would give it a try. I sure hope this was helpful. I hope you start feeling better.
Hi em71321,Thanks for sharing your experience
I have actually spoken to my doctor about my B12 levels being on the low end, but the doctors don't seem to see it as a problem. He told me there is no such thing as a B12 deficiency, but surely there is, especially when I was well below the low range (around April last year). The ranges my doctors go by are 200-1051 for B12. Last March my B12 was only at 86, and the doctors were not concerned at all, but because I asked for B12 vitamins they gave me some (very high dose B12 tablets). I took them for a few months and got another blood test around July and my B12 was up at 382. Then in September I got tested again, and it was back down to 231. I went back on B12 tablets but ran out of them and haven't bought more. So I have no idea what my B12 will be now. Similar story with my ferritin and haemoglobin. My lowest with that was 7 (normal is 12-16). When it was that low all I did was fall asleep all the time. My doctors aren't very helpful unfortunately. Are B12 drops available in pharmacies?Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi em71321,Thanks for sharing your experience
I have actually spoken to my doctor about my B12 levels being on the low end, but the doctors don't seem to see it as a problem. He told me there is no such thing as a B12 deficiency, but surely there is, especially when I was well below the low range (around April last year). The ranges my doctors go by are 200-1051 for B12. Last March my B12 was only at 86, and the doctors were not concerned at all, but because I asked for B12 vitamins they gave me some (very high dose B12 tablets). I took them for a few months and got another blood test around July and my B12 was up at 382. Then in September I got tested again, and it was back down to 231. I went back on B12 tablets but ran out of them and haven't bought more. So I have no idea what my B12 will be now. Similar story with my ferritin and haemoglobin. My lowest with that was 7 (normal is 12-16). When it was that low all I did was fall asleep all the time. My doctors aren't very helpful unfortunately. Are B12 drops available in pharmacies?Thanks
Hi, I don't know if you will get to read this, only I have only just found this site.I have had ibs for 18yrs now ( stomach cramps and diarrhoea ) My b12 levels when tested on one appt at the docs were found to be low and because I had been suffering with diarrhoea for years I was sent for a colonoscopy. The results came back normal from this test. I then became pregnant and ended up losing a baby at 24wks, became pregnant again and gave birth a 32wks. My symptoms were very bad during pregnancy. I felt really ill. after having 2 premature babies and feeling so ill the hospital did bloods and my b12 came back really low and I also had pernicious anemia. I now have b12 injections every 12wks and also 1 iron tablet every day. My doctor explained that when you have diarrhoea most of the time your gut cannot absorb the b12 which is when they give you injections. I also think if you are taking the b12 orally its not as efficient because it has to go through the gut. I think I would definitely push the doctor to take bloods again, I was told I was feeling ill due to the stress of the pregnancies, but I knew it wasn't. I felt unbelievably tired, would get pins and needles or a kind of numbness in my fingers. It was such a relief when they told me I was b12 deficient. I think even my family started to think there was nothing wrong!!, I think they feel a bit guilty now though!!! lolI really hope your well. Polly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.