Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am thrilled I found a place to talk about IBS. I am IBS-A but at this moment I am suffering badly with IBS-D. I was diagnosed with a �Sluggish Colon� aka IBS-C when I was 17. I am now 41 and due to recent events (to sad to talk about now) I am suffering terrible anxiety/depression which has caused IBS-D. I cannot take anti-depressants or anxiety pills because they cause a sever reaction that lands me in the ER.The doctor has put me on Bentyl for daily use and Hyoscyamine for cramps. The Bentyl is working OK but I�m still having an average of 4 bad days a week. When I take the Hyoscyamine I fall asleep. My doctor said I can take the Bentyl and Hyoscyamine together. I was wondering if anyone out there takes them together? Also, does anyone suggest taking Imodium or something like that to stop the diarrhea?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello, welcome to the page. I have been here just a little while and was wondering what's IBS-A????Have heard of D and C, but can't figure it out, so thought you probably could tell me. I am not on any of those medecine so sorry can't help you, but I am sure there are lots of people that can.C ya, Mirjam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IBS-D= Diarrhea constant IBSIBS-C= Constipation constant IBSIBS-A= Alternating Diarrhea/Constipation IBSIf it makes you feel any better I didn't know you could have IBS and constipation. I just learned that last month. Oh the joys of it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i have ibs-a and i hate it i take bentyl and it works sometimes and then other times it don't when i do take it i get very sleepy and then it causes constipation. And then after a couple of days then i really get diahrrea and the pains that go with it I had this disease for for a very long time and the older i get the worse i get. I can't take the pain i break out in sweats and the pain is terrible. have a good day

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi WebInnovations,I am also IBS-A. It's real hard to balance both symtoms.The antispasmotics cause me more abdominal pain. I have taken Bentyl and Hyoscyamine at the same time, but like I said they cause me more pain so I don't mess with any of them anymore. Hope you can find some relief with them.As far as Imodium goes. I take it if I absolutly have to. But that puts me on what I call the Imodium Rollercoaster. I'll get C for 4 or 5 days and then have D again, and have to take more Imodium for the D and the cycle continues.But if I have to go to work or somewhere important I do what I have to do to get there.Right now I'm taking 20mg Elavil, 5mg every other day of Lexapro, 1tbls of Benefiber and it seems to be helping. I still am having problems but I'm better than I was. I've been suffering for more than a year now, although I've had mild symtoms for more than 12 years. It got bad after a bout of H. Pylori last April. I am 46 now.Hope you have some luck managing your symtoms. Keep us posted on anything that is helping.Take Care and welcome to the BB.Joyce

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the post. I am suffering the same way you are Joyce & Debbie. I am on the same rollercoaster ride. I am going crazy. I know that stress and food are triggers. The stress is something I can't change but the food I can. Have you found any diet that can help balance you out? Thank you for the warm welcome to the BB.Anne

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't have any food triggers. It doesn't matter what I eat or when I eat it. Mine seems to be all hormonal and anxiety, and sometimes just for the hell of it.I didn't mention before that my doc also gave me a script for Xanax. This also helps me a great deal. I only take them when needed as not to get addicted to them. Like I needed one today to get to work. It just slows everything down a bit so I can get out of the bathroom.I always go towards a bland diet when the D is bad, and a little more fiber when the C kicks in.Dried apricots is one of my favorites when I'm C. Just don't eat too many. I don't know how to prevent it yet, but hope to find a balance soon.I did order Mikes Tapes the other day and hope they can provide a little more help.Since you can't take antidepressants or anti anxiety meds maybe hypnotherapy will help.Take Care and good luck.Keep us posted,Joyce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts