Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I'm new here, but not new to IBS.My symptoms seem to have flared up as I enter my pre-menopausel years. Lately, I was also advised to avoid gluten and have been doing so for about a month now. (Occasional slip ups here and there, but mostly sticking to it)I've been having problems with my upper abdomen, between my navel and below the rib cage. While I can't describe it as "pain", I can say it sometimes feels like pressure or tightness as if it's in spasm. Kind of a sick feeling. Not nauseous or anything and my appetite is ok. I know it's not gallbladder because I had that out a few years ago.I don't notice it in the morning when I first wake up, but then it seems to flare up after I have a bowel movement or if I start thinking about stressful things.Does anyone else have this??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, I have that. In fact, that's how mine started with that feeling. Not having had it it before (except during late pregnancy), I didn't take much notice. But now I recognize that it was the first symptom of IBS. That and episodes of unproductive burping. I believe that it originates from the transverse colon, either from spasms, distention or hypersensitivity to gas. I also get similar sensations at splenic flexure at the far left side but also quite high up. Sometimes the pain is so high up as to be under my ribsIts funny that you should mention pre-menopause (peri-menopause) as a possible contributor as several recovered friends have also mentioned to me that they thought theirs was related to the onset of menopause. I can't think what the mechanism would be but, who knows. I am also of that age.Since you've recognized it early, you may be able to deal with it without it becoming something worse. Since I knew nothing about IBS before this, I just carried on doing the wrong things until I got a full blown case but never with any stool issues. My diet is now very strict and I'm cutting out all starches with pretty good results so far (no pain at all yesterday). You may not have to be so strict.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jilly,Thank you for your reply. It means so much to know I'm not the only one going through this.I'm a class 1 hypochondriac too, so any symptom that seems out of the ordinary usually puts me into panic mode.
A friend of mine also mentioned cutting out dairy. While I don't eat a lot of it, I do enjoy cheese and an occasional cup of decaf w/cream.With the gluten thing and possible dairy thing too, I may as well just start eating cardboard. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to the two of you for this post/conversation. I went to hospital on 24 Jan with severe 'coffee grounds in the belly feeling' and that of a punch in the middle of my back in agonizing pain. I've been out of hospital since last Sunday evening - so home for a week - but hells bells, I'm still weak, with horrible non productive belching, dry heaves on the other end that finally ends in about a 1/4 cup of ribbon like poo in the pottie. All that effort for ??? LOL Peri-menopausal?? Age wise, the time is right, but the cycle is still right on time every 23-25 days. Going to a GI doc on Wednesday, expecting more tests will be ordered (biopsy, barium scopes both ends). Meanwhile, this burning starts up around 10pm and keeps me up to 4am or more.... Exhausted, been out of work for since the 24th and getting worried that this isn't going to resolve it self quickly or easily! I attempted to get back in on Saturday with mind-swirling pain in the gut after about 20 minutes at the shop. One of the guys drove me back home and I've been pretty well in bed since 'just resting'. Still sore, still very worn out.I've eaten bland things - roasted chicken, chicken broth with cooked carrots/celery for flavor - bits of salad to keep the fiber up - Is the SCD diet worth trying? I'm desparate to get out of bed (it hurts the least when I don't move/bend/grunt - rooting for the Saints yesterday was pure agony!) and I so want to be able to eat something without fear of pain with a capital P following. The hospital advised small bowel diverticulum infected based on CT results - so put me on two weeks of antibiotics - and turned my insides into pure twisted agony complete with cold sweats. I'm at an all stop for quite a spell it appears. Any suggested books to read ... any success in reducing symptoms?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been on the no starch diet for about 3 weeks and, whilst my symptoms have improved, I'm definitely not cured and my weight is dropping a bit. I can be pretty good for most of the day but after dinner I usually have some pain for a couple of hours. This sounds like hypersensitivity since, dinner won't actually have reached there yet but the action of eating a large meal may have stimulated my gut and, as a result, cause it to hurt. I used to have pain all day, so this is a great improvement.The SCD is even stricter but, in your case, may be worth a shot. There certainly seems to be a lot of people helped by it. I feel that, over the longer term, I am getting better, but I still get bad days which make me feel like I'm back at square 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To the OP, I have had that symptom as well when I had IBS. It often happens to me as soon as im awake or when im in a more stressful or uncomfortable situation. I truly believe, that is caused by a weak stomach in combination with gas production. During the height of my IBS, that was when it was the worst. The stomach area would feel alot of pressure but it wouldnt be painful. The stomach would feel like it is pushing out and wanting to come out. Gurgling also occurred for me. I find when I did a detox program to rid of yeast overgrowth as well as a healthy nutritious diet with lots of leafy greens, with no dairy, gluten, or highly refined sugary products such as bakery, this helped to reduce the gas production as well as enabled my stomach to strengthen. My stomach improved slowly over a period of time and when stress events occurred, you can kind of feel it coming again but nowhere as severe as how it was during the height of the symptoms. With other combinations of treatment, I eventually hit the state of remission. It is not an easy task to stay strict on your diet and to follow a program in treating IBS, but it is satisfying when you are rewarded with long awaited relief on a long-term basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.