Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums and by the looks of things I'm probably fairly new to IBS. I have had this since I was 15 and I'm now 20 so 5 years now. I don't really get a lot of pain but do get the bloating and diarrhea and all the other little pleasures this thing has to offer. So I was never a really social person but I did okay. When I got IBS-D that all stopped. My doctor prescribed Imodium which got me through my highschool years. I was only using it occasionally until recently when I went through a very bad stage. It has now stopped working.I am now homebound. I can't get a job because of my requirements, and now that Imodium has stopped I can barely walk out the door. More than the actual syndrome it's panic attacks and general anxiety of anticipating an attack which keep in this state.[cry me a river I know
]I see a lot of people here who are worse than I was before and there don't seem to be many options. I've heard Lotronex (Alosteron) is effective. Has anyone tried it and can you get it in Australia?Also has anyone else built up a tolerance to Imodium? There are a lot of sites saying you can't but I definitely have (so there
).Any general advice on how to get my life back would be great. Anything I post will probably be a little whiny/self-centered but it's how I'm feeling so...meh.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello Saga - welcome to the club nobody wants to join. For your anxiety issues you should look at the hypnosis tapes that are discussed in the "Coping Tools" area of the bb. Don't worry about being self-centered. With our condition and worry and frustration it is only natural. If anything you learn here helps you in the future, you will find that you are more able to help others. In the meantime focus on yourself and getting your symptoms under control. I'm a little worried about your signature line - I hope it is not a predictor of what you are thinking about...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Saga, I too am a new member to this bulletin board but I have lived with IBS-D for over 45 years. You are not alone, and everyone on this bulletin board knows every thing you're feeling, physically and emotionally. This is a frustrating condition to have to deal with because it affects everyone differently. I think it might be a good idea if you try to identify 'triggers' that may set off your IBS. For me, STRESS is my number 1 trigger plus I am lactose intolerant. Other triggers are high fat foods, very spicy foods and even being out in very cold weather. I too, hope your signature line is not a serious one. For me, IBS-D has meant a lot of compromising and sacrifice, but I try to keep things in perspective and just do the best I can. Hang in there and keep reading this bulletin board, and asking questions, because, although I'm a newbie, I have found that there are a lot of very knowledgable, compassionate and caring people here.Take care and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry about the sig. I'm suicidal on and off because I have epilepsy and when I don't take my pills I get very negative - but I'd never actually suicide. I used to have a book called 'don't say suicide' and thought it was good advice for everyone
especially since the suicide rates of IBS sufferers are fairly high (understandably).I'm a little sceptical of hypnosis because it screws with your mind but I'll ask my doctor and see how it goes. I have identified most of the foods which trigger it (like all soft drinks and cows milk) but situations are a little harder since every time I leave the house I get nervous and nerves trigger it every time. It's being nervous that I'm going to have an attack in public. I was going for a job interview a while ago and I had an attack so bad that I almost went on the tram in peak hour! (I don't drive). Not exactly a memory I want to add to my collection. What's worse is when you're on a tram the driver won't let you off until the next stop which is murder when he's stuck at a traffic light. But if there's a toilet handy I'm not obsessively worried about having an attack - I got over that in my teens. Now I think, it's natural so stuff anyone who stares at me after ; ) (and I always carry rexona just in case).Called the pharmacist today and found out that Lotronex isn't available in Australia but she's going to check if there's anything similar going around (which there isn't but I'll let her check). Going to be put on antidepressants very soon which should help with the nerves *fingers crossed*. Probably then going to have to work up the strength to actually have the butt camera >.< oh the joy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.