Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a 40 yr old Registered Nurse. I have other health problems (CFS and a primary immune deficiency), but my IBS is what is really causing problems right now. I have had bad bouts of constipation on and off, but I have the most dreadful diarrhoea right now....total liquid, wakes me up at night, gurgly stomach, nausea...etc.I have a lot of anxiety from work stress which is aggravating things. I have been taking peppermint tablets, which seemed to help things, but they aren't helping now. I am also taking loperamide to try to stop the problem.If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay this might sound a little abstract but I've found that yoga and meditation help me a bit. Anxiety has a much greater affect on our bodies than we realize, so sometimes if you can practice meditation techniques when you're having an attack it will calm your mind and your tummy a bit. I am very sure that I hold anxiety in my digestive tract, so the more relaxation and distraction the better.Also, try Aloe Vera tabs and check out the posting on Calcium suppliments. I think I'm going to give that one a try myself. If you take a look in the medications section under "IBS-D" you'll find the run down on all the meds on the market for IBS-D right now.One last consideration, is your doc sure it's IBS, because most of us find that IBS won't wake you at night (I assume because all those nasty spasms in the bowel aren't happening when you are completely relaxed)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The calcium post is interesting. I take both calcium and magnesium for the fibromyalgia pain I get in my legs. Maybe I should increase the calcium intake...I can't stop the magnesium.I should do more yoga and meditation. This has only really flared up since my life became very stressful. I don't really know if it wakes me, or if I just wake and have a huge anxiety burst, and then wham...need to go to the loo...I need to reduce my stress levels, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.