Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering from atypical anal fissures for the past 4 years (Atypical in that they are located laterally and usually there is more than one.) I have a bowel movement everyday and feel urgency before I go, but do not empty my bowels all the way. My stool is usually very soft, thick (in texture) and pasty. Occasionally (twice a month) my stool will start out as hard, but the tail end is always very soft. I do not have any bloating, cramping or abdominal pain. I only have diarrhea if I am sick and I can't even remember the last time it happened.A colorectal surgeon did a biopsy that came back normal and told me I have a dermatological problem (Really? Open bleeding fissures located in my anus are dermatological?) I decided to get a second opinion from a GI doc who told me I probably have IBS with constipation and that the constipation is causing the fissures. She also wants to do a colonoscopy to rule out Crohn's (which I doubt I have.)I'm completely confused.How could I be constipated if I am having a bowel movement everyday? Also, I first developed a fissure after starting on Adderall XR for ADHD. The Adderall really dried out my system and lead to a series of hard stools. But I've read quite a few posts here and elsewhere that say that Adderall either helps with IBS symptoms or has no effect at all.Any insight would be wonderful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am replying to my post with a quick update:After doing some online research I am convinced that I do NOT have IBS with constipation. All of my symptoms point to Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. In case anyone else feels they may be suffering from this problem as well, there is a physical therapy office out of San Francisco that has a very informative website: http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/

·
Banned
240 Posts
Hi Melanie,Do not hestitate to see another colo-rectal surgeon soon. I've always been telling people to getsecond opinions as my father taught me this growing up. Recently, I had a case where staff inan ER who saw me screwed up.I don't understand doing a biopsy for an anal fissure. Anal fissures are easy to see duringan anoscopy and many people can see this themselves if they squat and look with a magnifyingcosmetic mirror. Do the colonoscopy, it will check for Crohn's and other potential problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts