Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad there's a spot for me here!
Does anyone else have IBS-A? (probably...)I think it's the worst one to have... I could deal with just constipation or just diarrhea... but alternating between both? Good golly...My doctor said that it could have possibly been induced by laxative abuse when I was in college (I was bulimic.). Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Welcome aboard, LA! There are many people here who indeed suffer from alternating bouts of C/D. There's a wealth of information here. You can use the search function and there are other forums, too, targeted specifically for Diarrhea, Constipation, and other topics. You can see those if you scroll down to the "Hop To" box.I defintely have heard about overuse of laxatives causing problems. Hope you are able to find some answers here.Stacey

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Welcome to the BB
I also was bulimic when younger; and I was also told my overuse of laxatives contributed to my IBS D being so bad. I used to eat Exlax by the barS a day. Even now the smell of dark chocolate is a trigger for me.The way you phrased things was that you are not bulimic anymore. I know how hard that is....way to go on being a strong enough person to overcome that. Just think...if you can overcome that other things will be paler in comparison!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
that's me - I alternate between the two. Unlike some, I can't pinpoint a specfic cause. My IBS started when I was in high school - I'm 40 now. The key for me to keeping it under control has been making sure to keep the balance bewteen the two. In the past, I've always been more aggressive about the D since it caused accidents. For me, the C used to be more a of a non-event and in fact I looked forward to it after a day of D. But that's not the best way to handle it.Here's what seems to be working for me. I've actually swung more C than D these days but find I can usually resolve it better than the D.- calcium and magnesium supplements. Calcium constipates, magnesium does the opposite. I find that usually a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium is best. If I am leaning more D, then a higher ratio of C.- fiber. I take two citrucel tablets every night- hypnotherapy. Stress is a major trigger for me. This has been a great tool in learning to control the IBS. In fact, I've seen more changes from this than anything else. take carenancy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Nancy, good advice on the meds. I swing both ways myself with IBS and am glad there are others out there. Since coming on the boards, I notice it leans more toward those with only D. When you have a bout with D and then you are constipated for a week and then the next time you go again, its D again, its hard to find meds that help or anything that helps. So, us, alternaters need to stick together.I did find the calicum very helpful. After reading about it on the boards, I decided to try it for the debilitating D that I have been having lately. After only 2 days, the bad bouts stopped. Yes, now I'm constipated even worse but I'd rather strain a little than be doubled over in pain with the D. I need to get some magnisium and maybe I can even out. Welcome Lafunk, I'm glad you brought this up. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one going back and forth with this. I didn't get this "condition" from anything that I know of, I was born with it. Laxatives are BAD news, so don't do that anymore. Once in a blue moon is okay if you are blocked but other than that, stay away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.