Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently been tentatively diagnosed with IBS. For the past few years, once or twice a year, I have had episodes where all of a sudden I get cramps that quickly become severe (worse than any pain I've ever felt including four natural childbirths). I almost immediately start feeling dizzy, light-headed, like I'm going to pass out. I also break out in a full sweat and feel nauseous. Fortunately, up until this last episode I've been at home and able to get to the bathroom immediately. Once there I put my head down between my knees and the light-headedness eases. Then I'll have a normal BM, but then over the course of 10-15 minutes the BM becomes increasingly loose. After 15-20 minutes all symptoms pass and I feel OK. However since June I have had four episodes, with three just in the last five weeks. The last one occured when I was at a baseball game. The only restroom facility was one port-a-john. When the cramps and light-headedness started I didn't want to tie up the sole restroom for 15-20 minutes so I tried to fight it. I laid my head back against my chair and next thing I knew my husband was lifting my sunglasses off my eyes and asking if I was still with him. I had passed out for approximately 30 seconds. Scared him half to death. When I came to I still felt crampy so went to the restroom and had normal BM. A few minutes later I again felt cramps and returned to restroom and had loose BM. After that I was OK, just felt a bit drained and tired. Has anyone else had these symptoms? The gastroenterologist prescribed hyoscyamine and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy this Friday. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
557 Posts
HI Lisa56,I'm new too. I can totally relate to your post. I have the light-headness too. One minute I'm going bm just fine and within seconds it becomes diarrhea! I feel like I'm going to pass out or throw up. I shake, sweat and the gas pains are so bad I can't stand up. I started a new job last week and had to quit because the diarrhea was so bad I spent more time in the bathroom then at my desk. I can't go to a gastro doctor yet b/c I don't have insurance. So I have to try and ease the symptoms on my own. I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and you can get some answers. It's scary not knowing what is really wrong or why it's happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi lee'sbabe,Thanks for your reply, but sorry that you're having same problems and had to quit your job because of them. We own a business so at least that's not an issue for me, but I do stress about it happening when I'm on the road or out somewhere. Good luck with your self-treatment, I'll pass along any info I get from my doctor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lisa,I have experienced the shivers and light headedness as well. My movements begin and end in a similar way. I am glad you are getting a colonoscopy, that will rule many other things out. I find that I get this way as a response to certain food or drink. Does this happen to you right after you eat or on an empty stomach?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Andrew6,There doesn't seem to be any common denominator - sometimes it happens shortly after a meal, other times it's several hours after eating. I can't pinpoint any food or drink that is commom to all occurences either.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's so frustrating, isn't it? One week you can eat a certain food and nothing happens. Then the next week you eat it and totally regret it. With some meals I have a window of about an hour or two before anything happens and other days it's as soon as I clear the dinner table. Today for instance I really don't have an appetite. I don't have D today, but my stomach just isn't feeling right. When I feel like this I'm afraid to eat. Plus my daughter was throwing up last night, so that got my anxiety going. I hate it when it controls me like this. I almost feel inferior, if that makes any sense to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts