Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My world was just fine until last August when in the span of one day, it felt like my stomach had blown apart. I went to the doc and she treated me with nexium. I was seeing lots of black stool, so it was assumed that I had an ulcer.I tried to get off the nexium after 2 months but every time I tried, I'd be in pain again.I've been on nexium for 8 months now and I can't tell if it is helping or hurting or what. It hurts when I try to go off of it, but it hurts ALL THE FREAKING TIME - so I can't tell.When all of this started, I had nothing but stomach pain and black stool. Now the black stool is seldom, but I'm left with symptoms of IBS - constipation, gas, bloating AND MY STOMACH HURTING RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE UNDER THE RIB CAGE. It is horrible--really affecting my life-- and I can't figure out what is causing it. The nexium does seem to help a little, I think, but it is difficult to tell. Sometimes are worse than others, but it is NEVER normal.Doc says I have IBS. How the hell he'd know, I have no idea. NO diagnostic tests have been run, although blood/stool tests and stuff come up negative for various bacteria. He says my pain is imaginary (damn idiot) and that if there really IS a problem, it's IBS. And he told me that I probably WASN'T seeing blood in my stool. What.. I'm imagining pain AND I'm imagining seeing blood? Of course, no one bothered to CHECK for blood in the stools when I had the tests run. FREAKING IDIOTS.This man, poor excuse for a doctor (where did he get his degree? The University of Imaginary Symptoms???) hasn't even looked at the OUTSIDE of my stomach--let alone scoped me. I have an upper GI scheduled for friday and it was like pulling teeth to get the idiot to even order that. Damn idiot.Question: is it possible that IBS was precipitated by an ulcer? What would explain the black blood in the stool and if it is/was an ulcer, why all the constant constipation, difficulty in eating EVERYTHING, gas and bloating. Can nexium bring on these things?????Topping matters off, the stupid nurse practitioner told me that the gas could be caused by my swallowing air when I chew gum. I COULD HAVE PUNCHED HER. Gum chewing does not cause a previously very up-beat and productive individual to be doubled over in pain for weeks, months at a time.Freaking idiots. I have lost total respect for the medical community. I might as well be treating myself. Hell I AM treating myself. I'm an expert on every over the counter medication promising ANY relief from these symptoms. NO ONE HAS EVEN LOOKED AT THE OUTSIDE OF MY STOMACH--let alone the inside.Excuse me, medical professionals, but there will be times when YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PATIENTS instead of making diagnoses based on statistical profiling. And YES, this might require you actually having to LOOK at their bodies and LISTEN to them!I have NEVER IN MY LIFE been sick before. I HATE DOCTORS and I only go WHEN IT IS ABSOLUTELY necessary. I'm 37 years old--not a spring chicken but not over the hill either. I hold a Ph.D. and I'm not a stupid person or a whiner and I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP! I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You poor thing.....Believe me when I tell you that most of us here have been as frustrated with the medical profession as you are....It is impossible to diagnos IBS without running inumerable tests....IBS is really a matter of elimnation when everything else has been tested and comes back negative....I'm so sorry you are having to deal with the pain as well as the frustration of idiot doctors....I've suffered with IBS since I was 21 and although I have mine under control now I remember how mad and alone I felt having to deal with doctors who could find no reason for my problems and sent me to a counselor....Good luck and don't accept IBS without having every single test done that's available and if this doctor won't do the test find one who will!! Good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
You poor thing.....Believe me when I tell you that most of us here have been as frustrated with the medical profession as you are....It is impossible to diagnos IBS without running inumerable tests....IBS is really a matter of elimnation when everything else has been tested and comes back negative....I'm so sorry you are having to deal with the pain as well as the frustration of idiot doctors....I've suffered with IBS since I was 21 and although I have mine under control now I remember how mad and alone I felt having to deal with doctors who could find no reason for my problems and sent me to a counselor....Good luck and don't accept IBS without having every single test done that's available and if this doctor won't do the test find one who will!! Good luck

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Makeitstop,Your story could have been written by me. Gosh, where to start?I am a 33 yr. old woman. I had always been healthy, no GI problems, iron stomach, etc. I started getting the same pain you describe, right in the center under the rib cage. 3 different GI doctors blew me off as having "IBS." One told me work and my marriage must be the culprits. He told me this and he had never even met me before. (FYI--I have a great career and wonderful hubby). Finally, the 4th GI doctor did an endoscopy, found an ulcer, biopsied my stomach and discovered I had Helicobacter Pylori. This is the bacteria that is now known (a recent discovery in the past decade) to cause almost all ulcers.I would find a new doctor ASAP. This bacteria can be killed by taking a regimen of drugs for 2 weeks. The Nexium would help the ulcer heal by reducing the irritating acid, but won't kill the underlying bacteria. You need certain antibiotics for that.Do a search on the Web for H. Pylori. There is even a blood test for it. Your doctor should AT LEAST have done the blood test (although it can give false negatives as it did in me).You are right about the medical community. They are failing us miserably. Please find another doctor who will treat you properly and do the proper tests. A bleeding ulcer can be life-threatening.Good luck and let us know how you're doing,Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Makeitstop,Your story could have been written by me. Gosh, where to start?I am a 33 yr. old woman. I had always been healthy, no GI problems, iron stomach, etc. I started getting the same pain you describe, right in the center under the rib cage. 3 different GI doctors blew me off as having "IBS." One told me work and my marriage must be the culprits. He told me this and he had never even met me before. (FYI--I have a great career and wonderful hubby). Finally, the 4th GI doctor did an endoscopy, found an ulcer, biopsied my stomach and discovered I had Helicobacter Pylori. This is the bacteria that is now known (a recent discovery in the past decade) to cause almost all ulcers.I would find a new doctor ASAP. This bacteria can be killed by taking a regimen of drugs for 2 weeks. The Nexium would help the ulcer heal by reducing the irritating acid, but won't kill the underlying bacteria. You need certain antibiotics for that.Do a search on the Web for H. Pylori. There is even a blood test for it. Your doctor should AT LEAST have done the blood test (although it can give false negatives as it did in me).You are right about the medical community. They are failing us miserably. Please find another doctor who will treat you properly and do the proper tests. A bleeding ulcer can be life-threatening.Good luck and let us know how you're doing,Stacey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Stacey and CindyThanks for your sympathetic responses. At least SOMEONE understands. I am taking treatment into my own hands. I decided to get checked for a thyroid condition tomorrow just in case that could be causing all the constipation. I have already had a blood test for H. pylori (negative), but I'm going to try and convince the doc to also check for that (again) along with the thyroid stuff. If he doesn't agree, I'll pull out my shot gun.Stacey, your story is encouraging. My dilemma could be another case of a false negative. Also, since I was checked so long ago, I'm wondering if (supposing it is H. pylori) the bacteria were just not numerous enough to detect. The gas and constipation have become terribly worse over the past 8 months and it could be that the bacteria have multiplied--making them easier to detect, and making my life a living hell.I am convinced that there is a problem with some sort of bacteria and having read Stacey's story, I can well understand why nexium might help to alleviate the symptoms of stomach pain without taking care of the problem. Could be that these bacteria are producing all the gas too. Whatever the case, I'll know something by next week. There is only one GI doc in the whole county and the guy is a totally hands-off arrogant type who has no-doubt typified me as a hyochondriac or a hysterical woman WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT ME OR RUNNING IMPORTANT DIAGNOSTIC TESTS. I got news for him--he hasn't seen hysterics yet. If you read about the rageful murder of a GI doc in PA who was shot point blank by one of his disgruntled patients, you'll know what happened. Please write the president with a plea for my pardon
I'll keep ya updated. Thanks for the support!sue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Stacey and CindyThanks for your sympathetic responses. At least SOMEONE understands. I am taking treatment into my own hands. I decided to get checked for a thyroid condition tomorrow just in case that could be causing all the constipation. I have already had a blood test for H. pylori (negative), but I'm going to try and convince the doc to also check for that (again) along with the thyroid stuff. If he doesn't agree, I'll pull out my shot gun.Stacey, your story is encouraging. My dilemma could be another case of a false negative. Also, since I was checked so long ago, I'm wondering if (supposing it is H. pylori) the bacteria were just not numerous enough to detect. The gas and constipation have become terribly worse over the past 8 months and it could be that the bacteria have multiplied--making them easier to detect, and making my life a living hell.I am convinced that there is a problem with some sort of bacteria and having read Stacey's story, I can well understand why nexium might help to alleviate the symptoms of stomach pain without taking care of the problem. Could be that these bacteria are producing all the gas too. Whatever the case, I'll know something by next week. There is only one GI doc in the whole county and the guy is a totally hands-off arrogant type who has no-doubt typified me as a hyochondriac or a hysterical woman WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT ME OR RUNNING IMPORTANT DIAGNOSTIC TESTS. I got news for him--he hasn't seen hysterics yet. If you read about the rageful murder of a GI doc in PA who was shot point blank by one of his disgruntled patients, you'll know what happened. Please write the president with a plea for my pardon
I'll keep ya updated. Thanks for the support!sue

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi,-After taking anti-biotics & Prilosec for 7 weeks I feel like my IBS has gotten 20x worse and as a bonus I now have an Acid Reflux problem. If I were you I would seriously consider getting off the nexium or taking any PPI'S. If you do have a bacteria/parasite/yeast problem the acid your stomach produces is what helps keep these bugs in check. Taking Nexium is just turning off your acid production and not solving your problem..if anything it seems like it would make things worse!! Having a scope doneEGD will determine if you have any ulcers/inflamations and they can also check for h-plori. If they tell you everything looks "fine", thats when you're going to have to make a tough decision..theywill probably offer you nexium again or one of the other PPI'S but you may want to start investigating other alternatives..you do have other options!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi,-After taking anti-biotics & Prilosec for 7 weeks I feel like my IBS has gotten 20x worse and as a bonus I now have an Acid Reflux problem. If I were you I would seriously consider getting off the nexium or taking any PPI'S. If you do have a bacteria/parasite/yeast problem the acid your stomach produces is what helps keep these bugs in check. Taking Nexium is just turning off your acid production and not solving your problem..if anything it seems like it would make things worse!! Having a scope doneEGD will determine if you have any ulcers/inflamations and they can also check for h-plori. If they tell you everything looks "fine", thats when you're going to have to make a tough decision..theywill probably offer you nexium again or one of the other PPI'S but you may want to start investigating other alternatives..you do have other options!! Good Luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.