Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I came across this website today, while I sat here at my desk buckled over in pain.My name is Gary, i'm 29 and from the UK and have sufferred from stomach problems since in my teens. Back then I used to have to take a packet of Rennie with me everywhere I went, for on occassion for no reason I would get the most incredible stomach cramps.However the past 2 years I have seen my condition get worse, and find myself at a loose end, very depressed, fed up and wanting someone to help me. I've been to the doctor numerous times, had tests for Chrone's disease, but am now waiting to see a hospital consultant to have some further tests done.I've lost so many friends from not going out, I feel I have wasted so much of my life, being too afriad to commit myself to things incase I get these "attacks" of pain and the runs. Everywhere I go I always have to have a bottle of Pepto Bismol with me as this I find is the only thing with helps reduce the pain and toilet visits.I've been keeping a regular diary to try and find which foods are causing me problems, but with no luck. I think i've highlighted the traditional Sunday lunch as one problem area. Just 30 minutes after eating one I have to sit on the loo for an hour.Reading the board today makes me feel happy in a way to know I am not alone, but sad in another that it looks like things can only get worse. My pain and problems are getting more frequent, and I dread to think what the next 20 or so years will be like. Sometimes I just feel like I dont want to live through them if its going to be like this.At the moment I get these pains really bad in my lower abdomen, and in my chest, and the pain radiates through to my back. Driving becomes a problem, and walking is just impossible. I even lost a holiday last year as I had one of my attacks on the day I was due to go, and was in too much pain to drive to the airport.I've read that some people grow out of this condition, I just hope I do so soon else I just dont know what I can do.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
GaryHThe good news is that you are not alone.Welcome to the board. Hope that you make progress.The bad news is that it's an uphill battle, but doesn't necessarily get worse. Many people here get relief from dealing with diet and stress levels. If doctors can't find a physical problem, it wouldn't harm you to go on a strict elimination diet, avoiding perhaps lactose, gluten, yeast, fructose, or anythig that might be a trigger.I've tried all sorts of elimination diets, but I think that I had so many trigger foods that I could never pinpoint what exactly I neded to eliminate. This year I decided to go on a very limited diet. I found that I could tolerate fish, chicken and rice. I'm in the process of trying out different food to re-introduce and I'm getting a good idea of what sets me off. It's probably good to re-introduce one thing at a time because if you find you suddenly start getting a reaction you won't know which one it is.Best wishes. I sympathise with you, and trust that you'll be steered on the right path.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Gary, i know how you feel, i think we all know how you feel..i am not a daily sufferer of IBS but frequent enough. I am going through horrible, embarassing things myself and i get so upset. Anyways, heres my two cents...drink water, especially if you get constipated at all. I don't like the prescribed pills for IBS but there are some great health remedies out there to help you with this. I would look into a company called Renew Life, this is what they are all about. You can look them up online and see if they might be able to help you, plus they offer an 800# to call for questions. I hope you feel better and i wouldn't give up. Eveyone is different, and what works for one person might not work for the next. Look into everything! you have nothing to lose..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, not to be repetitive, but you seriously are not alone. I've had IBS for 10 years now. When it first started my doctors and family convinced me that it was all in my head. I, like you, lost many friends and avoided many otherwise enjoyable situations because of a fear of attack, pain, or embarrassment. Finally doctors tested me for lactose intolerance after 6 years of pain, to learn I was severely lactose intolerant. Now I take the lactaid pills. Then on my own I stopped eating red meat, fried foods, and any other foods known to be hard to digest. My doctor also prescribed me lomotil, which is an anti-spasmodic pill. I take that if I am nervous about getting sick and this relaxes the muscles. While the pill has done wonders for me, I can't leave home without it. But it helps take away the anxiety. So, what I'm saying is try to think positively. I know it's easier said than done, but 5 years ago I was contemplating suicide (other reasons combined with IBS, but nevertheless a contributing factor) and now I love life. I try to be open with people about my stomach, and you'd be amazed at how many people have the same or similar problem! Most people are very supportive, and if they're not they have bigger problems than we do. Good luck to you, know that it doesn't always get worse!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just wanted to say hi and say that this is how I came across this site too--terrible D cramps at work, couldn't leave my desk so I did a search for "terrible D" and found this place!I think the support network here will help a lot. And maybe you can get some kind of diagnosis and find some strategies that work best for you.Hullo from across the pond!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to board & thanx to everyone for welcoming me.This is a great place with great people!I've learned a lot & knowing there is a supportive community is comforting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts