Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had a flare up after quitting smoking? I noticed that by ibs is a LOT more active in the absence of nicotine. I asked my gi, and he said that there are studies that indicate that nicotine quells flare ups and that a significant number ibs-prone people who quit smoking have flare ups. he said he would never recommend smoking to his patients, but sometimes he is tempted to do so. anybody had this experience?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Actually, yes I have had that experience. I use to smoke almost a pack a day and then I "quit" about two years ago. Every once in a while I'll pick up a pack and smoke it. After I'm done with that pack I am in the worst pain ever and vow that I will never ever do it again--forget and do it again. Maybe, if we could get our doctor's to say it helps IBS I'd have a reason to smoke for real. Just kidding--but yes I've had that reaction.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a small bowel problem, but smoking now is so weird. I smoked habitually and now i just do occasionally. It makes me feel drowsy and relaxed, my appetite increases bigtime and my nausea is better. then later my abdomen hurts later. What the hell eh? My appetite increases soo much, I can eat 2000 calories instead of 1000. Maybe the abd. pain is because My system isnt used to all that food...I should try it with less and eat mashed potatoes and stuff. If smoking would cure my thing I would totally smoke just enough to do that. Nicotine lasts about 14-16 hours, I bet if you had 2 or 3 per day you would be covered. Sure you reduce your life expectancy a small amount smoking that light, but I say its worth it for Quality of Life. Those last years suck anyways, right? =)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can't really answer that question, all I know, is when I quit smoking about ten years ago, I went from 129 to well over 200 pounds. I've lost it, but started smoking again, and will NEVER stop.Thanx for listening...Later......Jadair

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes! I quit smoking for 3 weeks this summer, just bought patches and am ready to try again, but the 1st week my IBS symptoms were worse. By the second week they were better than before I quit. Probably two fold - the physical withdrawl itself and the increased stress caused by stress without nicotine. Best wishes to us both on quitting! kaj

·
Registered
192 Posts
I quit smoking in 1997 (I was up to a pack a day
). I heard that quitting cold turkey caused all kinds of unwanted side effects, including D. I used the patch. Be careful to consider your height and body weight when using the patch. I didn't and wound up in the E.R. Anyway, after using a decreased dose of the patch, I was able to quit smoking with only some minor uncomfortable feeling

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought the 2mg Nicorette and cut them in half the first day. It seemed to help. I used a whole one today. I know that smoking eases my IBS problems, but I don't want to smoke. I am going to try one 2mg after every meal for a few days. Cost $46.00+ though for 108 chews.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I quit smoking 2 1/2 months ago. Although I had IBS fairly well under control with homeopathy, it flared up quite seriously ( I was quite worried and posted a similar topic on this BB on August 17th ).Homeopathy hasn't helped anymore. Now, since about 2 weeks, I have the impression things start to get better.Anyway, my doctor says quitting smoking can have the strangest side-effects and that it will take a couple of months before things will get normal again.....

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
When I was 18 I began delivering mail. I used to have a cigarette just before I began my walk, in order to stimulate my bowels. It worked every time. When I was in my early 40's and smoking at least a pack a day for all of that time, they were my first trigger on the way to our shared condition. 3 cigarettes that morning, 3 quick trips to the toilet. (I am not a quick learner.) Cutting down didn't stop it. Quitting didn't stop it. The triggers just multiplied. don't know what it is about cigs that caused this; but I sure don't think I would be adding any nicotine to my system any more. I hate to think what would happen if it were found that it was the formaldehyde in them that controlled the outbreak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.