Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am suffering with almost constant left-sided pain and about once a week I have bad cramps and diarrhea either from about 10.30 p.m. at night or starting at about midnight (which wakes me if I am asleep).I am worried because I keep reading that nocturnal diarrhea does not happen with IBS. I have had a sigmoidoscopy and a barium enema which came back clear and I am just wondering if sometimes more serious things don't show up of if in fact I do just have IBSWould be grateful for any advice.Tess

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Usually sometime around the time you go to sleep and around the time you get up the colon "rests" and usually for IBSers that means the symptoms die down.It is very common in other diseases to have this not stop the symptoms. There are a few IBSers that break the mold. It is a red flag that something else MIGHT be going on, not a definitive something else MUST be going on. When you have wake up from sleep symptoms you need more testing than someone that doesn't. If this is your one and only red flag I wouldn't worry too much. If you are having bloody diarrhea, abnormal blood tests, or losing weight uncontrollably even though you eat more than enough to maintain weight then I'd push for more testing, but as long as this is the only blip in the IBS-symptom profile I wouldn't worry too much about it. You might check to see if they did a biopsy with the sigmoidoscope to check for microsopic colitis, but that often goes with periods of many watery BM' a day more than just one at bedtime.With the timing it may be your colon hasn't gone all the way to rest around bed-time yet, and if you eat a snack anywhere near bed time that eating can cause a burst of activity.K.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Aha!! Eating before bedtime!! Maybe that is why I have an occasional night time IBS attack. I had a no-no before I went to bed last night (a low fat fudge bar). I'll bet that is why I had abdominal pain during the night. I didn't have to get up to go to the bathroom, but I hurt and then in the morning had two bouts in the bathroom. I never thought that that little snack might be responsible. No more snacks for me before bedtime!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.