Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to vent a little. I have been fighting the 'd' quite a bit lately. It is terrible. From not wanting to leave the house to not eating & having embarrassing moments if I do. I guess I will never be normal again. I find myself thinking back to when I could go out to eat, travel, do anything...........not anymore! What makes matters worse is that I am only in my mid-thirties with three kids (all under 10 yrs). There is still a lot of living yet to do; however, I am fearful in thinking about it.With that said.....I'm glad that I can come here and have people that know what I am going through.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm also in my mid 30s and if I don't watch what I eat I have troubles.. big troubles. The thought of having to take my new daughter to disney world makes me ill just thinking about it... lol..I also miss the days of being carefree and my bowels not running my life. And I can pinpoint the exact day things changed... it all happened in one day! It's messed up, and just a huge guessing game since no one seems to be alike when it comes to IBS...

·
Banned
955 Posts
I went to the grocery this morning and on the way home I knew I had an episode of "D" coming on.Well I Crapped my pants and had to drive home in a mess. I wanted to cry.I came come an took 5 lomotil instead of the required 2.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Don't you guys dare give up on this. Just keep working your way through things that have worked for others. Eventually you will find one that works for you.Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
It runs your whole life and if the IBS doesnt the anxiety does.I too am in my mid thirties and 3 kids. How do you explain it to anybody that you just cant go out the door in a moment. I always have to be prepared and know where I am going and wheres the washroom and what did I eat today or yesterday.

·
Banned
955 Posts
IBS "D" has destroyed my life.I can't begin to tell you how many times I have messed my jeans in Public.And I am along ways from home , and have to drive home sitting in $$$$.Walk in the house like a waddling duck with stuff coming out my pant legs.Can it get any worse then this ?I have tried all the med's and over the counter med's.Lomotil does help me some. I hate my life .Glenda

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I sure hope there is a chance of being normal again. Most of us still try and do the things we used to do but it doesnt happen because we have to adapt to our changing bowl habits. Yes its very frustrating, but a lot of people have left this site and visit once in awhile because i assume they found what worked for them. I have really never heard of a person being born with IBS but because your diet and your bowl habits get so routine how could you tell. How i figure it is what can be put there can also be taken away which means if IBS can come along, it can go away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel all of your pain. My ironic story however is that I am an executive chef. I have been to culinary school and worked in restaurant my whole life. At the begining, when I was young and in the restaurant industry I didn't have the problems. Now I am entrenched in an industry I love and can't even taste any of my own food, eat out with my staff, or even enjoy food at all. All I am ever thinking about is my bowels and if I am going to lose it. I once was a sociable persona nd now spend all my time indoors and alone. I am the ultimate paradox and it is not fun. But I tell myself that there has to be a plus side to this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I read all of your posts with tears in my eyes... only people who suffer this can understand the pain that it causes... I find it sad to realize what I pray for most.. is to function normally with my bowels... to be able to go shopping or out to visit... have a work day pass when I don't have 4 trips to the bathroom... or take a trip without have to worry about what will happen... this alone causes anxiety...not to mention STRESS....To be able to eat normal and not have to say... I can't have that... no thank you.. To have to watch other partake of foods with gusto.. like having some PIZZA... and not have it kill you.. I hate the sweaty feeling I get when the crampy grumbles of the tummy begin... and I begin to get all clammy and pray it passes and I don't have to go...I know the feeling of taking the Immodium... and taking more then suppose to.. cause I am sick of the bathroom trips... then worrying cause I took more .... am I going to get C....So I start to drink more water... and eat applesauce... and fiber... only to have the normal stool after the dose... turn into D... Don't give up hope... it's out there... Keep searching..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Guys,I know what you all mean, I'm a 26 yr old man with IBS-D! I think all we can hang on to is hope that with all the medical breakthroughs that they will find something to help us out. Thats all I can do is hope, I look at all they can do now in medicine, heck they can clone people, hopefully someday they can help us just be able to enjoy the simple facets of life like going out to dinner. Hang in there guys

·
Registered
53 Posts
good call sage, I have never thought about it from that broad of a scientific perspective (or optimistically at that). I guess maybe they can clone a few functional bowels for all of us....

·
Banned
955 Posts
I need serious Help , I cannot control my diarrhea.I am messing my pants daily now.Can't get to the bathroom before it explodes.Sometime I am out in my car , other times I am sitting on my couch watching tv and I have to RUN to the bathroom and never make it.Please any suggestions. My Lomotil doesn't seem to be helping.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Glenda, with it that bad you might be a candidate for Lotronex which is more specific for IBS than Lomotil is. It may mean finding a doctor in your area that will prescribe it (they have to do extra paperwork to be on the list of doctors who can prescribe it).For some people here that has been the only thing that controlled the diarrhea.Questran (a bile binding agent) might be another approach if the opiate-drugs like Imodium and Lomotil dont' do the trick (and on another thread I suggested you might need to take it twice day like Imodium to get good control rather than once a day)K.PS there is hope, I no longer need any meds or supplements to control the IBS and eat whatever I want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear you. Whatever happened to "quality of life"? It sure would be nice to be normal. I too am glad that there are people who do understand what we're going through. I wish there was a magic cure.

·
Banned
955 Posts
My husband of 26 years is Very Sympathatic about my bad health. He is very consirned about my bowels exploding on me at any given moment , no matter where I am. The worst thing is messing your pants while you are driving the car. And you are far from home and have to sit in $$$$ till can can make it home.I can be on the couch and get up to get a drink of water and my bottom explodes without warning.This is getting to be insane.Lomotil use to work and now it doesn't seem to help.I have tried Imodium and that works off and on for me.But here lately I am scared to even leave the house for fear I will have a messy accident.I am only 48 , should I now wear diapers for fear of a bowel explosion ??I did have my gallbladder out about 7 years ago and I know that can cause diarrhea.But this no warning explosion stuff has got to stop.I see my doctor tomorrow thursday and I am going to plead for help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glenda- I am so sorry that you have it so bad. I have daily bouts of D, i never have accidents BUT that is my worst fear. Andrew- I can relate to your story. I too was the most outgoing socialable person ever, always out with friends and doing stuff. Now going out for dinner takes so much preparation and the anxiety is just out of control. The ironic thing is I used to wonder why people didn't want to go out or why people would stay home and unfortunatly now i know the answer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glenda, you must be eating some kind of trigger food, or your nerves caused by anxiety are making you too nervous. You may have to really watch what you eat and take anti-anxiety meds. It also could be an allergen you are exposed to everyday. You almost have to be a scientist to find what the triggers are.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.