Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently been having frequent diarrhea, however in the last week and a half I have adopted a Japanese diet and my symptoms are in regression. Each day I eat lunch and dinner at the Japanese diner near my work- the food is good and with almost zero fat- and my painful smelly wind, diarrhea and abdomin pains have been in regression ever since.I am planning to stick to this diet, except for Sundays when I will reward myself with McDonalds and a small amount of junk food. Do you think that cutting out fat is a key towards reducing my symptoms? I should add that for the last seven years I have been on a diet of total junk- as a college student and post graduate student I pretty much lived off fatty take out food and sweets.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I'm very happy you have seen a reduction in symptoms! Congratulations!And yes.. many IBS D'ers find a lower fat diet can help tremendously. Wish you continued success!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I eat a lot of japanese (wifes friend is from there). Most of it we cook ourselves.Simple but good meals that are healthier than our western diet. I find keeping to the low fat meals helps control symptoms.My normal japanese meal is miso soup, rice and seafood/lean protein. But i have a weakness for yakisoba. mmmm yakisoba

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok everything has been going good so I decided to reintroduce milk to see if it is the milk or the fatty food that triggers me off. I had one box of chocolate milk and surprise surprise! I got pains in the abdomin and this morning I got slightly soft stools.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am also suspicious of fat as a potential trigger. Though for me Japanese food doesn't appeal (nor do I know where I would find it where I live). However on a recent trip to Turkey, eating local cuisine, which I like, much veg, pulses and small quantities of meat, I was really fine! They use a lot of oil but it didn't worry me there, nor did the amount of pulses that I did eat, though fibre can be a trigger. Conspicously though was that turkish meals were small!! Very small plates and very thoroughly yet simply cooked. I have tried to follow on with that since returning home, and here, at home, it has worked fine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts