Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on the Meeting Place about an incident that happened yesterday involving a snake, my dog, and my husband. Long story made short, after the encounter, five minutes later I was doubled over in spasms after being spasm free for months after going on Effexor XR to control the pain of IBS. I didn't think I would make it home in time for the explosive D to hit. Once I emptied, I was better, but still jumpy from the ordeal. This proves to me better than anything that stress can bring out the worse for an IBS person.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I totally agree. My IBS is much worse when I am stressed. I had a terrible time last week with my knee , handing in my notice and that was all stress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree with you that stress does not help. But what if that's just part of your job? I am a musician (most of that stuff is at night - I am a pianist and an orchestral conductor) and an elementary school music teacher. I am feeling so much stress from my teaching job. I haven't eaten breakfast in about two months because I am so afraid it is going to set off my stomach (even though eating or not doesn't seem to really effect me) when I have 20 third graders in my room. There are no other adults back near the music room and I am constantly worrying "what if I have to go to the bathroom?" I feel like I am wining here, and I appologize for that! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make my teaching situation better? Any coping strageties?Thank you SO much!Leah

·
Registered
96 Posts
LeahRebecca,I certainly can feel for you. Maybe you need to just be open to the idea of sharing your "problem" of IBS with the people you work for/with. I am so blessed to work for a business where I am free to go to the bathroom anytime I need to. Most of the time I have my office space to myself. We have 10 women working here... all about the same age. They are wonderful and very very understanding. In fact, once I started sharing, people seem to open up more and share some issues they're having. I don't know how "proper" your work environment is and if this would work for you. My thoughts are with you. BTW, I read your post about nausea and I get very nauseaus at times.
I started drinking Ginger Tea and it seems to help.
Blessings,

·
Registered
510 Posts
LeahRebecca,I'm a music teacher too! Except I teach privately now in the public schools which is a bit less stressful, except when I'm in a school where the restroom is clear down the hall. But I am also the choir director at our church and every single Sunday morning prior to the processional, I have to run to the bathroom. Sometimes I read through the bulletin and determine when I could bolt out of there if I needed to. I've actually never done that, but it makes me feel better to have a plan. I also never eat on a morning when I have to be teaching. What you might try though is Calcium. I take Ibsacol - wonderful stuff and caltrate D. It makes me feel much less urgent, like I could wait a bit if I needed to. I sometimes still need to go, but I don't feel the panic that I used to. Good luck. And remember you are not alone, although it certainly feels like it at times!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Leah Rebecca,If you are having a hard time with stress virtually every day maybe you need to try some medication to deal with that. It certainly worked for me, after 6 months of chronic daily D anti-anxiety meds stopped it in 48 hours. Many months later I still have the stres but not the D! Take care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts