Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was first diagnosed in 1988, and suffered every year since. After becoming connected to the Iternet a few years ago, I read everything I could on IBS including messages on this bulletin board. I tried stress relief, changing my diet, calcium, just about everything suggested to the point where I thought about what I was doing and eating and drinking every minute of the day. Recently two things happened: 1) someone on a site (possibly here) mentioned artificial sweeteners, and 2) I got sick and tired about worrying about what I was eating. I decided I did NOT have a problem and I wasn't going to worry about it. I also made a connection between being diagnosed at the end of 1988 with IBS, and a change to diet soda. I had been a smoker and coffee drinker for 16 years, so when I quit smoking I also quit coffee (which I associated with cigarettes). I started drinking diet coke in 1987. Three years ago I read on the internet that some of the most common triggers for IBS included alcohal (which I don't drink anyway) and caffeine. So I switched to diet caffeine-free drinks but still continued to suffer several times a week with IBS. When I read about artificial sweeteners a few months ago, something clicked and I quite drinking diet soda or using anything with artificial sweeteners. I have been IBS FREE for over three months now! I can't believe that it took me over 12 years to figure out that one of my main triggers included artificial sweeteners! But now that I have, I feel great! I can eat normally. I no longer worry about social engagements (which was a trigger itself). I don't NEED to KNOW where the bathroom is located everywhere I go! Its incredible. If you haven't tried eliminating artificial sweeteners, you just might want to give it a try. We all have different triggers. I found mine. I hope you find yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also am very happy for you my friend and you might be right about the sweetners there in everything i do have a site about how they are bad for us email me and ill find it? Karl KODOS to you------------------karl m welty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also am very happy for you my friend and you might be right about the sweetners there in everything i do have a site about how they are bad for us email me and ill find it? Karl KODOS to you------------------karl m welty

·
Registered
221 Posts
My daughter, (who does not have IBS) told me that the sweet and low she would sometimes use (and I used all the time) would give her 'D'. She told me it might just be one of the problems making my 'D' worse. I stopped using it right away, and yes there was an improvement.Donna --- '-)

·
Registered
221 Posts
My daughter, (who does not have IBS) told me that the sweet and low she would sometimes use (and I used all the time) would give her 'D'. She told me it might just be one of the problems making my 'D' worse. I stopped using it right away, and yes there was an improvement.Donna --- '-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.