Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going to family doc for constipation and chest pain 5 weeks ago,being told to take stool softener and Vioxx and getting a hemacult test and blood work for thyroid, lipids etc. Then 3 weeks ago at doc find out blood work OK hemacult OK but I'm still not going BM like I should be and suffering with uncomfortable pain, I was told it's IBS got scrip for Zelnorm. Well the Zelnorm didn't give me D but I did have more normal BM but developed severe pain in upper abdom. region, so I called and was told to only take half a pill, a week later the pain was still there, I called again and was told to stop taking Zelnorm. Now what am I supposed to do?? I'm concerned because I've been reading that a diagnosis of IBS can be made after other causes are ruled out. I also have lower pelvic pain, it's not like I need to go to ER but it's not a comfortable feeling and my life isn't the same. Should I be asking for other tests and if so what? Or should I accept the IBS and learn to cope with these symptoms? It seems docters are too busy to deal with anything except the common cold and infections, I'm soo discouraged. Thanks in advance for your time to reply.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Alot of what tests you need tend to be based on which symptoms you have.If your blood tests are normal that rules a lot of things out.With some of the tests the risk of serious complications (like a perforated colon from the colonoscopy) is about the same percentage as the chance they will find anything, so some doctors do less testing rather than more. Excessive testing seems to make the IBS worse from the stress of the preps and the tests...so it can be a mixed bag.They don't need to do every single expensive medical test to rule everything else out.Pain with constipation with normal blood work tends to almost always be IBS. It may be worth asking for a referral to a GI doctor since you haven't found a treatment with this doc that works for you. They may or may not run more tests, but theyknow more about what to do for IBS.Depending on the nature of your constipation (have you tried increasing fiber and water?? Might try the magnesium that works for people here) you may need tests specific to constipation issues. Tests to see if you relax the pelvic floor normally, or get your tranist time tested.But those are things that the GI doctor would be dealing with not your family doctor.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Alot of what tests you need tend to be based on which symptoms you have.If your blood tests are normal that rules a lot of things out.With some of the tests the risk of serious complications (like a perforated colon from the colonoscopy) is about the same percentage as the chance they will find anything, so some doctors do less testing rather than more. Excessive testing seems to make the IBS worse from the stress of the preps and the tests...so it can be a mixed bag.They don't need to do every single expensive medical test to rule everything else out.Pain with constipation with normal blood work tends to almost always be IBS. It may be worth asking for a referral to a GI doctor since you haven't found a treatment with this doc that works for you. They may or may not run more tests, but theyknow more about what to do for IBS.Depending on the nature of your constipation (have you tried increasing fiber and water?? Might try the magnesium that works for people here) you may need tests specific to constipation issues. Tests to see if you relax the pelvic floor normally, or get your tranist time tested.But those are things that the GI doctor would be dealing with not your family doctor.K.

·
Registered
16 Posts
NIH has said that a diagnosis of IBS can be made from a thorough abdominal examination and a complete patient history. It is no longer a "diagnosis of exclusion," which is a fancy way of saying they want to run every test known to man on you before they admit it was what they thought it was in the first place. In general, depending on symptoms, the really horrible tests just don't need to be done to get a diagnosis of IBS.Your "now what?" question is right on. That's what you need to ask the doctor. Don't talk to the nurse or speak to him on the phone - make an urgent appointment and make a list of your questions and concerns before you go in. Then make sure you feel these have been addressed at the appointment. If this doctor won't do it, find a doctor who will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
NIH has said that a diagnosis of IBS can be made from a thorough abdominal examination and a complete patient history. It is no longer a "diagnosis of exclusion," which is a fancy way of saying they want to run every test known to man on you before they admit it was what they thought it was in the first place. In general, depending on symptoms, the really horrible tests just don't need to be done to get a diagnosis of IBS.Your "now what?" question is right on. That's what you need to ask the doctor. Don't talk to the nurse or speak to him on the phone - make an urgent appointment and make a list of your questions and concerns before you go in. Then make sure you feel these have been addressed at the appointment. If this doctor won't do it, find a doctor who will.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Janet - don't worry! My family doctor diagnosed me with IBS without so much as drawing blood. That made me uncomfotable so I trotted on over to an internest. When I described my symptoms, he said "It sounds like IBS - I had it all through Med School" He decided to do stool samples instead of a colonoscopy. He put me on Zelnorm, althought I'm IBS-D, to relieve the pain and bloating (it worked for about a week). I too started getting pains in my upper abdomen, right below my left ribcage, and close to my naval, but since it hasn't been severe, I've been leaving it alone. I have a follow-up appointment this week, so I may be trying something new. Don't sweat that they didn't do a colonoscopy - my doc said there was no reason to go through it with my medical history, unless the stool samples came back abnormalHope this helps,Beth

·
Registered
41 Posts
Janet - don't worry! My family doctor diagnosed me with IBS without so much as drawing blood. That made me uncomfotable so I trotted on over to an internest. When I described my symptoms, he said "It sounds like IBS - I had it all through Med School" He decided to do stool samples instead of a colonoscopy. He put me on Zelnorm, althought I'm IBS-D, to relieve the pain and bloating (it worked for about a week). I too started getting pains in my upper abdomen, right below my left ribcage, and close to my naval, but since it hasn't been severe, I've been leaving it alone. I have a follow-up appointment this week, so I may be trying something new. Don't sweat that they didn't do a colonoscopy - my doc said there was no reason to go through it with my medical history, unless the stool samples came back abnormalHope this helps,Beth

·
Registered
69 Posts
Janet, ask your dr about glycolax, works wonders with constipation, and is not obsorbed by the body.. its a powder, mixed with water, tea, coffe, juice... Sobe works really great....all it does is cary fluid all the way through the gi tract.... its about the safest way to get releif within a reasonable amount of time... I have IBS with alternating D and C...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Janet, ask your dr about glycolax, works wonders with constipation, and is not obsorbed by the body.. its a powder, mixed with water, tea, coffe, juice... Sobe works really great....all it does is cary fluid all the way through the gi tract.... its about the safest way to get releif within a reasonable amount of time... I have IBS with alternating D and C...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to doc again on Thursday evening I was having really bad pain on the side and my pelvis almost felt like menstural type pain, I was also running a slight temp. The doc checked my urine, gave me percacet and scheduled me for a CAT scan, she said if it's normal there's 2 other drugs she can try for IBS and if I don't get relief from them she'll get me into a GI. I feel better knowing I'll be getting a CAT to make sure there's no abnormalities. I do take Benefiber and stool softener and drink at the minimum 80 oz. of water a day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to doc again on Thursday evening I was having really bad pain on the side and my pelvis almost felt like menstural type pain, I was also running a slight temp. The doc checked my urine, gave me percacet and scheduled me for a CAT scan, she said if it's normal there's 2 other drugs she can try for IBS and if I don't get relief from them she'll get me into a GI. I feel better knowing I'll be getting a CAT to make sure there's no abnormalities. I do take Benefiber and stool softener and drink at the minimum 80 oz. of water a day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Janet, one of the things I found out when I first started going through this, is that for some peoplle with IBS-C fiber theripies can actually exaserbate the C... because prior to going to the ER the first time, I was taking stool sofeners, Metamucle, and I drink about the same about of water as you are... I always have a cup, or bottle right next to me... even the Er dr was telling me to "take more fiber, get that GI tract greased up"... well for me the fiber was absorbing the water, and cauing the problem.. they started me on the Glycolax, wich is NOT fiber, its "polyethylene Glycol" powder for oral solution... it is proven to NOT ferment in the GI tract like "fiber" does, it moves through the GI tract hydrating solid waist...and is NOT absorbed by the body, tests show that it is voided in its entirey through the colon.... Just seems that the fiber your talking isn't working very well.... maybe you should ask about givig this a try...Good luck with the CT, Cat

·
Registered
69 Posts
Janet, one of the things I found out when I first started going through this, is that for some peoplle with IBS-C fiber theripies can actually exaserbate the C... because prior to going to the ER the first time, I was taking stool sofeners, Metamucle, and I drink about the same about of water as you are... I always have a cup, or bottle right next to me... even the Er dr was telling me to "take more fiber, get that GI tract greased up"... well for me the fiber was absorbing the water, and cauing the problem.. they started me on the Glycolax, wich is NOT fiber, its "polyethylene Glycol" powder for oral solution... it is proven to NOT ferment in the GI tract like "fiber" does, it moves through the GI tract hydrating solid waist...and is NOT absorbed by the body, tests show that it is voided in its entirey through the colon.... Just seems that the fiber your talking isn't working very well.... maybe you should ask about givig this a try...Good luck with the CT, Cat

·
Registered
461 Posts
Glycolax is the generic Miralax. It's also used frequently as a colonoscopy prep. Colyte and GoLytely are both Glycolax based. It's recommended for occasional use (less than 2 weeks) unless your doc suggests otherwise. At least some docs recommend high fiber and Glycolax be taken together.It's an osmotic laxative that, like CatRwall said, helps keep water in the colon, similar to Magnesium Citrate. Neither are as bad as stimulant laxatives that irritate your colon to get stuff out.Good luck with it. Is it working for you?Here's a good link to the straight poop on Miralax

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.