Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody....I have IBS C & D...but when I do have D, it's realllly bad....excrutiating pain & I usually can't eat without major problems for a few days to a week. I have had IBS for almost 2 years now...and I've been put on Modulin & Dicetel...neither have worked. Lately, the only thing that I find that helps during my D attacks is Immodium...I take 1-2 and it literally stops all activity & pain for the day....the downfall is that I get constipated...so a new problem emerges. I would really apprecitate some feedback on how safe/healthy it is to take Immodium frequently and for those who do take Immodium...how to you relieve the constipation?I JUST graduated from University and I'm trying to build my life, but it's soooo difficult with these damn flare ups! (as we all know)Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I take 2 immodium every morning and a few more after each BM if I'm having a bad day. Otherwise, 2 in the morning usually keeps me set for the day. I try to eat some fibre, not a lot because that really screws me up. I try to have a bowl of fibre cereal before bed and that seems to work. For some reason, Mini-wheats work for me. I get a prescription from my DR for the immodium because is too expensive to buy and she says there is not problems with taking them every day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Your symptoms sound like mine Martinigirl. I am very reluctant to take Immodium after/during D because it definitely gives me C so I only do it in emergencies. For me having D brings on C which brings on D, etc. and I can get normal again better without taking Immodium. If I don't take it but instead take fiber supplements (I do everyday) then the next day I might be regular; if I do take it, then nothing for a couple days and when my body says "uh oh we gotta get rid of this stuff" then its more D! I call it a 'shame spiral'.
P.S. alcohol is bad for IBS.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another P.S.It is really bad to get on a drug dependency cycle. At your age it is very easy to do. The worst thing you can do to your body is laxative to immodium to laxative to immodium etc. It's worse then vivarin to tylenol PM! It screwed me up royal when I was 20. Please be careful.Since you have IBS A like me I think, then you need to treat it differently than people with IBS D. Well that is what I think anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.