Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I logged onto the internet this morning and the first thing I saw was an article on Yahoo about how more people call in sick during the holidays. Though it looked interesting so I read it. It was kind of interesting but I got mad when they said that a good excuse to use is IBS because your boss won't want to listen to the symptoms! Now I know why my old boss used to never believe me when I told him I was having an attack and needed to go home. Even though I had a doctor's note stating I had IBS and may be taking more sick days then a normal person. Here's a link to the article.http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061129/hl_nm/life_work_sick_dc

·
Registered
776 Posts
I didn't miss much work either, when I worked. I remember running to the bathroom a lot at one of my more stressful jobs, but didn't get much sympathy for my IBS. I didn't talk about it very much. My co-workers were a mean bunch of people, I can say that for them. I was glad to leave there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't start to miss much till the end. Mine you I would try and go in but with what I did, it wasn't easy. Anyone who has worked in customer service with IBS knows you can't just drop what you are doing and run to the bathroom when you have a line of customers a mile long. I had a great boss to start wit who let me do other things while I was getting sick as long as I helped out when they were busy. No problems there.And the only thing they really knew was I had a chronic problem that put me in the bathroom often.( I had to ask to go because someone needed to cover my spot.) But once I switched departments that's went things got weird. I would go in early and take over shifts everytime that some else needed to leave or called in but when I started getting sick all of a sudden I was causing problems. I think I missed a total of two weeks of work the entire two and a half years I was there. I finally had enough and left. And when I left I made dang sure to note that I was leaving because of medical reasons and their failure to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Which would have been punishing me for taking so called extra sick time for IBS. Leaving early or calling in more then twice in four weeks was considered excessive except if you had a doctor's note, which I did.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Boy bluenoggie, I know just how you felt.I owned a lotto booth/snack bar for 5 years. Winters, I was pretty much on my own. Fighting off a poop storm when there was a big jackpot was so difficult. Especially when you had to chat, as well.I am so glad ALL of that is over.Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.