Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do many people have problems with their IBS overnight? I had heard that supposedly the "gut" relaxes/"goes to sleep" when we are asleep and therefore one shouldn't have any "problems" at night. Probably 10% of my bouts happen at night. Was up at 2am this morning, doubled over in the bathroom with my "buddy" D. Not good and was beat all day long. My GI didn't bat an eyelash at this. Any body else run into this?Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Normally no, but yes, I have had nighttime problems and early morning (4 AM) problems. I guess one red flag to more serious bowel problems than IBS is nocturnal D. I bet though if you asked everyone on this board we have all had nighttime episodes... at least once or twice. So as tired as you are, I think your GI is probably right on track.Leslie

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
77830,The first place I would look is what meds you may be taking in the evening or at bedtime that may have some side effects that may cause this problem. If you take vitamins also I would stop for a bit to see if this is the reason. It may take a couple of weeks to get the vitamin out of the system to see if this is it.Linda

·
Registered
441 Posts
HiWell, for once, I can say no-I have not experienced something awful about IBS-D.No nighttime problems for me. I vaguely rememberbeing ill at night a few times as an adult, but it was nausea...not D.Thinking of you.Jeanne

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi LNAPE, I'm "clean." I've cut out the Immodium and haven't tried the "high octane" stuff the GI prescribed; he said to take only as needed anyway. The only things I've been taking are viatmin C, and with meals, is Caltrate, 300mg with each meal. My gut has been sore most of today, kinda like I got kicked, no D, but I guess just IBS at work
. Maybe the occasional nighttime bout is to be expected.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Vitamin C can cause diarrhea if you get enough of it.But usually it is the over 1000 mgs a day kinda range (and in some people a lot higher than that).K.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
K is right about the vitamin C. So you may want to stop that to see if it helps.Linda

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Thanks for the "C" note. I'm taking 1000mg each morning. The nighttime stuff hasn't started since the "C," I've only been taking it for about two weeks now and the night D has been around for years. I'll have to keep an eye on it, if it stays constant or gets worse, I'll try knocking off the "C."Too many variables and the IBS keeps changing the rules. This stuff is gonna drive me nuts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and picking up lots of useful info. I get nighttime D but I put this down to the fact I tend to eat more in the evening when I'm home and safe! Like someone said earlier, nighttime D is worth checking out with your GP tho. Keep well

·
Banned
364 Posts
My doctor became concerned with my night episodes, as he says that it is atypical of IBS and more along the lines of Crohns, which I am being watched for.I'd ask the doctor about this next time I was in for a visit.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had nighttime D (actually, I'd be awakened with the big cleanout about 4:30 to 5:00 am) for some time. It stopped when I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance and went on a gluten free diet. Something like 10% of IBS sufferers actually have gluten intolerance or Celiac disease. And, while I do not like following a diet for the rest of my life, it sure beats having D for the rest of my life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.