Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pharmacotherapy: non-serotonergic mechanisms.Spiller R.Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospital, Notttingham, UK. robin.spiller###nottingham.ac.ukAntidepressants rapidly relieve pain in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and are effective at low doses. Noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors appear to be more effective than selective serotonergic reuptake inhibitors, suggesting that pathways other than those modulated by serotonin may be involved in visceral sensation. Visceral sensitivity is reduced by both centrally and peripherally acting opioids, suggesting the possible existence of an endogenous opioid deficiency in patients with IBS. The alpha(2) adrenoceptor antagonist clonidine, as well as somatostatin, oxytocin, and possibly amitriptyline have also been shown to act as visceral analgesics. As knowledge increases, there are undoubtedly many other possible targets, and new drugs currently undergoing development may provide future benefit in patients with IBS.tom

·
Registered
337 Posts
"suggesting the possible existence of an endogenous opioid deficiency in patients with IBS."What does this mean? And how does it fit in with the food poisoning initiating symptoms thing... ?Thanks,ben

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have tried two different classes of antidepressants: Pamelor (TCI) and Prozac (SSRI) Great results on both, but Pamelor made me very hungry, and the Prozac has decreased my appetite. I needed to lose weight due to rising blood pressure, and the Prozac is not interfering with the BP. I have had only one attach **knock on wood** of spasms/D..(normally IBS C) Before Prozac, I had been taking additional supplement of calcium/mag./boron/Vit D (combo combined together) and have more normal stools and less C. Each indivuals responds different ways..I have found my relief..Prozac has also helped with generalized anxiety disorder. Sleep is better, mood is better..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.