Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one year old son has had loose stools (diarrehea) since I can remember. My wife took him to the doctor and was told "that because I have IBS my son has it too." " During periods of stress it will get worse" This kind of diagnosing is why I have such a negative veiw of Doctors.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't an April's Fools joke?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't an April's Fools joke?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
PS - Blair, have you ever checked out the possibility of food allergy/intolerance or another organic cause? For a baby to have consistent symptoms just screams allergy to me - I'm a little biased. You could try taking dairy out of his diet and see what happens, or maybe just lactose-free milk would help.I was in poor health until my 20's with undiagnosed soy allergy, and whenever I see or hear of a baby with chronic health problems it rings all my alarm bells!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
PS - Blair, have you ever checked out the possibility of food allergy/intolerance or another organic cause? For a baby to have consistent symptoms just screams allergy to me - I'm a little biased. You could try taking dairy out of his diet and see what happens, or maybe just lactose-free milk would help.I was in poor health until my 20's with undiagnosed soy allergy, and whenever I see or hear of a baby with chronic health problems it rings all my alarm bells!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Blair, Run! Do Not pass go, Do Not collect $200.. >>>>>>>>Get A New Pediatrician Pronto>>>>>>>I'm so sorry your wee one has had so much trouble. Hopefully a new Doc can start exploring the problem with your son. I realize that all newborns will have "interesting"
stools, but ... Your baby is a year old.... <Is it me or do you hear a faint alarm bell going off somewhere???? I think it means your current Doc's time is up.>BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Blair, Run! Do Not pass go, Do Not collect $200.. >>>>>>>>Get A New Pediatrician Pronto>>>>>>>I'm so sorry your wee one has had so much trouble. Hopefully a new Doc can start exploring the problem with your son. I realize that all newborns will have "interesting"
stools, but ... Your baby is a year old.... <Is it me or do you hear a faint alarm bell going off somewhere???? I think it means your current Doc's time is up.>BQ

·
Registered
190 Posts
Blair,We had something similar with my son when he was about 1 year old. His digestive system is similar to mine in some ways (poor kid!). 100% fruit juice is one of the things he, and I, cannot have. My son also had to use Pro-So-Bee (I think that's the name?) formula because the regular milk-based stuff caused major diarrhea and vomiting.When my son was an infant my ex-wife would insist to the daycare providers that 'her son' (hey, he's MY son too!) be given only 100% pure fruit juice, not something like Hawaiian Punch or Kool-Aid. When he drank the pure fruit juice he could fill many diapers to overflowing with diarrhea. The daycare people told me about the diarrhea one day when I went to pick him up and also what my ex-wife had told them about only using pure fruit juice. I told them to stop with the fruit juice and to give him either pure water or something like Hawaiian Punch, which only has 10% fruit juice. Also I told them not to tell my ex (they understood completely). His diarrhea episodes stopped immediately. The ex and I were divorced when my son was 1 1/2 years old and I got sole custody. Thank God! I can't imagine trying to raise a child with her around screwing everything up. My son is now 17 and the ex has never contacted either him or me in all this time. Actually I'm glad she stayed out of my way all these years and let me do the child rearing. It's been interesting!!Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Blair,We had something similar with my son when he was about 1 year old. His digestive system is similar to mine in some ways (poor kid!). 100% fruit juice is one of the things he, and I, cannot have. My son also had to use Pro-So-Bee (I think that's the name?) formula because the regular milk-based stuff caused major diarrhea and vomiting.When my son was an infant my ex-wife would insist to the daycare providers that 'her son' (hey, he's MY son too!) be given only 100% pure fruit juice, not something like Hawaiian Punch or Kool-Aid. When he drank the pure fruit juice he could fill many diapers to overflowing with diarrhea. The daycare people told me about the diarrhea one day when I went to pick him up and also what my ex-wife had told them about only using pure fruit juice. I told them to stop with the fruit juice and to give him either pure water or something like Hawaiian Punch, which only has 10% fruit juice. Also I told them not to tell my ex (they understood completely). His diarrhea episodes stopped immediately. The ex and I were divorced when my son was 1 1/2 years old and I got sole custody. Thank God! I can't imagine trying to raise a child with her around screwing everything up. My son is now 17 and the ex has never contacted either him or me in all this time. Actually I'm glad she stayed out of my way all these years and let me do the child rearing. It's been interesting!!Bob

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My brother as a baby was diagnosed with "Irritable Colon" because he had D a lot. My Mom looked at his diet, without the doctor telling her to. Cut out milk and a few fruits that seemed to trigger it and he never had those problems again. In babies I agree it's a big sign that it's a food allergy. Good luck, and sorry about that doctor!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My brother as a baby was diagnosed with "Irritable Colon" because he had D a lot. My Mom looked at his diet, without the doctor telling her to. Cut out milk and a few fruits that seemed to trigger it and he never had those problems again. In babies I agree it's a big sign that it's a food allergy. Good luck, and sorry about that doctor!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My youngest brother also had very loose stools and D all the time. The doc told my mom to try imitation milk, and the D stopped. He is still slightly lactose intolerant. The thing is, we ALL switched to the imitation milk because there were so many of us (at the time, 6 kids as the youngest sister was not born yet) and they couldn't afford to buy regular and fake milk as well. I often wonder if that contributed to my own slight intolerance to milk. In fact now that I think about it, none of us can drink milk on an empty stomach and we all use very little on our cereal. He is the only one who actually gets the D after milk, the rest of us just get the toots.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My youngest brother also had very loose stools and D all the time. The doc told my mom to try imitation milk, and the D stopped. He is still slightly lactose intolerant. The thing is, we ALL switched to the imitation milk because there were so many of us (at the time, 6 kids as the youngest sister was not born yet) and they couldn't afford to buy regular and fake milk as well. I often wonder if that contributed to my own slight intolerance to milk. In fact now that I think about it, none of us can drink milk on an empty stomach and we all use very little on our cereal. He is the only one who actually gets the D after milk, the rest of us just get the toots.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Like other have said I would get a second opinion...I tend to agree with what Julia shared.I started getting sick in 1961 when I was 4 years old...and I had to wait until I was 40 to find relief...For me it was apple juice or apple in any form...I use to drink apple juice all the time from childhood and continued to drink it until about 5 or 6 months ago..Hope you get some answers real soon...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Like other have said I would get a second opinion...I tend to agree with what Julia shared.I started getting sick in 1961 when I was 4 years old...and I had to wait until I was 40 to find relief...For me it was apple juice or apple in any form...I use to drink apple juice all the time from childhood and continued to drink it until about 5 or 6 months ago..Hope you get some answers real soon...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for thr advice. we have cut out Milk and replaced it with Rice milk. We'll try this for a week and see how it goes. If no results then back with milk and try wheat, etc. Also another doctor has given us a stool sample tube. Will submit that and see what comes up. poor little guy gets terrible rashes from this. Have to check him constantly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.