Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all...here's a short history of my problems before I get into my question....I was diagnosed with a "spastic colon" many years ago, I must've been just around 20 years old, (42 now) and I've always had some sort of digestion problem even as a youngster. Thoughout the years, I've just come to expect it and accept it as part of my daily life...I've had periods of very minor symptoms that have lasted months at a time, and periods of the "usual" symptoms that would last just as long.....as the years went on, I'd get bouts of diarrhea, with stomach/gassy pains, and the usual "ugh, here we go again" attitude, but, as you all know, we all just do our best to deal with it and try to move on.Anyway, my symptoms have come back with a vengeance within' the last few months, but with some newer symptoms that I've never really had before, hence my question to you folks........I now have a weird sensation right at the base of my sternum, kinda like a gassy/pressure feeling that comes and goes for the most part, but is always there to some degree...I've thought about hiatal hernia, as that's always a possibility, but not having health insurance limits my ability to get tested. I'm a caregiver to my father who is a victim of stroke, so my stress levels get pretty high at times, and are pretty constant anyway. So, after that long-winded explanation, I guess my question to you folks is this.....can stress provoke that weird sensation in my sternum, along with the spastic colon? I mean, I already kinda know that it could, but I'd sure like to hear from some people that experience this kinda thing.....it may just help to ease my mind a bit. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, stress can definately increase the amount of gas your body makes, and if that area(by your sternum) is prone to having pain associated with gas, then yes, your symptoms can get much worse. Are you taking any probiotics, digestive enzymes or anything else like that to help prevent gas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.