Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Normacol in the UK - anyone have some?!

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ciclochick 
#1 ·
I have used Normacol high fibre granules (sterculia) for years and they really help my IBS-C, but they are out of stock everywhere and have been for weeks.

Does anyone know where I can get some? Or if you have some in a cupboard somewhere would you be willing to send them to me? (I would of course pay for the granules and the postage costs).

(I have been a member of this forum for many years and used to be a moderator here back when Jeffrey Roberts ran it.)

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Hi RJ, thank you very much for your reply and I'm sorry you're having the same problem. I'm afraid I contacted the manufacturers Norgine and got a reply that Normacol has been discontinued (their email is below). So that's the end of that.

My second favourite fibre supplement was Celevac (methylcellulose) but that's been discontinued in the UK as well. I have a terrible time with psyllium for some reason so I've bought Optifibre to try, which is partially hydrolysed guar gum. I take magnesium citrate tablets as well, 450mg per day. I've used Movicol in the past and it definitely worked but I struggled to find a balance between C and D.

Email from NORGINE:

"Unfortunately NORMACOL and NORMACOL Plus has been discontinued and is therefore no longer available for purchase or prescription.

The products have been discontinued by the manufacturer due to a supply issue affecting one of the key manufacturing ingredients.

NORMACOL and NORMACOL Plus is a well-known and longstanding medication, but thankfully there are multiple other alternative and established medications available so please consult with your healthcare practitioner (doctor or pharmacist) for advice on which alternative medication is suitable for you.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this causes you."