Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Normacol in the UK - anyone have some?!

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ciclochick 
#1 ·
I have used Normacol high fibre granules (sterculia) for years and they really help my IBS-C, but they are out of stock everywhere and have been for weeks.

Does anyone know where I can get some? Or if you have some in a cupboard somewhere would you be willing to send them to me? (I would of course pay for the granules and the postage costs).

(I have been a member of this forum for many years and used to be a moderator here back when Jeffrey Roberts ran it.)

#2 ·
Hi Sophie. I am new to this community and have just seen your post which I can relate to, as I have been using Normacol Plus for nearly 10 years and currently having the same challenges as you. I saw somewhere it could be in stock in mid-March 'at the earliest', but I'm not so sure. I'm really sorry you're having a similar challenge.
I wondered if you might have any suggestions of alternatives whilst we wait for it to come back in stock? I have been using Psyllium Husk, Movicol, Bisacodyl, Magnesium to try and assist in the meantime, but as I say, Movicol is definitely the best!

#3 ·
Hi RJ, thank you very much for your reply and I'm sorry you're having the same problem. I'm afraid I contacted the manufacturers Norgine and got a reply that Normacol has been discontinued (their email is below). So that's the end of that.

My second favourite fibre supplement was Celevac (methylcellulose) but that's been discontinued in the UK as well. I have a terrible time with psyllium for some reason so I've bought Optifibre to try, which is partially hydrolysed guar gum. I take magnesium citrate tablets as well, 450mg per day. I've used Movicol in the past and it definitely worked but I struggled to find a balance between C and D.

Email from NORGINE:

"Unfortunately NORMACOL and NORMACOL Plus has been discontinued and is therefore no longer available for purchase or prescription.

The products have been discontinued by the manufacturer due to a supply issue affecting one of the key manufacturing ingredients.

NORMACOL and NORMACOL Plus is a well-known and longstanding medication, but thankfully there are multiple other alternative and established medications available so please consult with your healthcare practitioner (doctor or pharmacist) for advice on which alternative medication is suitable for you.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this causes you."

#4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply and the update. That’s really disappointing news re Normacol isn’t it! I wonder why they discontinued it.
Yes Movicol isn’t great at all. I’ll try Optifibre, thank you for the recommendation.
Losing Normacol finally forced me into booking to see a nutritionist in a few weeks time.. let’s see.
Out of interest, have you ever been tested for sibo / Candida? Sorry for all of the questions, I’ve never come across anyone who also used Normacol too.

#10 ·
Thank you so much for your reply and the update. That’s really disappointing news re Normacol isn’t it! I wonder why they discontinued it. Yes Movicol isn’t great at all. I’ll try Optifibre, thank you for the recommendation. Losing Normacol finally forced me into booking to see a nutritionist in a few weeks time.. let’s see. Out of interest, have you ever been tested for sibo / Candida? Sorry for all of the questions, I’ve never come across anyone who also used Normacol too.
Normacol has been discontinued because of the variability of supply. It's a vegetable gum that is harvested from a tree, but crops are not consistent. The disruption of supply has caused the distributors to cease obtaining it. I learnt of this some 18 months ago, so stockpiled a bit and I have enough to last me another three months or so. At the same time, I've been experimenting and pure wheat bran is a good alternative with linseed and fibre powder you can get from Amazon. Psyllium husk is quoted as an alternative (not Fybogel as it's not pure psyllium husk), but it's a pain in the patootie to consume as you have to whisk it in water and drink immediately (utterly disgusting, too) or it will form a gelatinous mess within seconds. There are few natural alternatives to Normacol; other than those I've quoted everything else is a stimulant which you can't take indefinitely. It's such a shame--Normacol pretty much changed my life!

#5 ·
Hi Sophie..... I am also new to this group - just signed up now so I could add and follow this thread. I came across this forum while scrolling the Web desperately trying to find info on why Normacol has been deleted. I too have used Normacol for my IBS for about 7 years - it's the only product that has worked for me so I'm gutted! I also have a couple of neurological conditions which cause major bowel issues so I'm really not sure where to from here. Had a great routine which was working well - combination of dulcolax caps and Normacol 2X day - now swapped out for Metamucil which has never worked in the past and isn't now. Have tried so many different products over the years from pharmacy to health food stores as well as elimination diets. Would love to hear if there are any positive updates on a comparative product - cheers from NZ

#6 ·
Hi all. I have been using Normacol Plus for around 30 years, so massively disappointed that it has been discontinued. I was taking 2 sachets twice per day to manage my IBS-C and it worked perfectly. I am now taking a combination of Isphagula Husk (Fybogel or similar) and Laxido. It has taken a bit of time to work out the best combination but I've now settled on 2 sachets of Isphagula and a rounded teaspoon of Laxido twice per day. Its not as convenient to take as Normacol Plus but on the whole it does seem to work quite well. Word of caution; if anyone is trying this combination, start off low with the Laxido and increase in small increments till you find the right balance. I took too much to start with and I became a bit uncontrollable.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear you’re suffering as a result of the Normacol discontinuation too. I’m seeing a holistic nutritionist and undertaking tests to try and get to the root cause of the issue currently - it’s probably my going to be a journey but hopefully will help. In the meantime I’ve been taking a mix of magnesium citrate (400mg) and bisacodyl when I need it (usually every other day). I suffer with bad bloating usually so have been trying to limit my intake of higher fodmap foods and yeast too, which is helping reduce the bloat but not necessarily ‘’movements”. I’ve been told to do box breathing a few times a day too, which can be good for gut health to lower the circular gut-brain stress. I hope you find a solution.