Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been taking my medications (imodium and tricyclic antidepressant) as usual and normally I'll have a few bad days when I still have a bit of diarrhoea. But today again with no warning I had very watery diarrhoea (worse than normal) out of the blue and abdominal pains (which I sometimes get when having a bad day of IBS).How do we ever know whether we're having a usual bad day of IBS or whether it's a bug?

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
The measurement that I use for days like that, is if the D continues for more than 1-2 days than I think that I have a gut bug. I would actually ease off the imodium in situations like this to allow your body an opportunity to rid your body of the bug. You might also try adding some probiotics around these times or even on a regular basis and see if that helps.Jeff

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually for me it is about duration.A few hours of D with a few bouts of it is IBS.Watery diarrhea every 20-40 minutes for 6 or more hours on end (usually from 12 hours to 7 days), that is a GI virus or bacteria (like food poisoning)Also with a bug I am likely to have a fever or feel hot/cold/clammy and more likely to vomit (but not always, depends on the bug).The other big sign it is a tummy bug is that it keeps going well after I go to bed. IBS tends to settle down at night when the colon is less active. The bugs aren't on the same schedule.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your replies, as usual really helpful and so good at putting my mind at rest. Feel a bit better today so it seems it may well have been just a bad day of IBS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.