Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Not really D or C

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hasenfuss 
#1 ·
Can you have IBS also when you have not really constipation or Diarrhia. When IBS started 3 years ago I had more loose stools and much more frequent than now. But now I am just left with abdominal pain, incomplete(sometimes) evacuation, lot's of wind and gas pain, even without beeing bloated. In what catogory am I when I am not really c or D ???

#2 ·
As I understand it, a "syndrome" is more a collection of symptoms than any one particular diagnosis.I'll use this example only because I know more about it: In addition to irritable bowel syndrome, I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome. The symptoms for PCOS are many: being overweight, having male pattern hair growth, depression, inability to concieve, irregular or absent periods, acne, and a host of other things. I have PCOS, but I don't have all of the symptoms. I'm not overweight, I'm not depressed, and I don't have acne. But I still have PCOS, because a syndrome is a collection of symptoms. You can have all, or a few, but it's the presence of them (in addition to some other tests to rule out other things) that the doctors use to diagnose you. In polycystic ovarian syndrome, get this: you don't even have to have cysts in your ovaries to have it!I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm not a doctor, obvoiusly. But if I had to bet on it, I'd say that you could still have IBS without being overwhelmingly D or C. You could talk to a Dr. about it.

#4 ·
I'm not really a d or c either. I'm usually pretty regular except in times of high stress. Then I become more of a d with gas, nausea, and stomach pain.When I'm not stressed, I still have occasional stomach pain, but only when I need to "go," or am not "going" regularly. After I go, then it pretty much goes away.

#5 ·
You could have IBS-A, which alternates between IBS D and C.Or you could just have different symptoms depending on which medications you take.The side effects can be rather strong, some will make you really bloated and that will make you incompletely evacuated (Which is IBS-C) and others will make your stomach have compulsions followed by diahierriah which is IBS D.

#6 ·
I am not really alternating. In the past I had more loose stools. Now it's normal and sometimes frequent(4-5 stools per day) That doesn't mean I go everytime a huge amount. Sometimes only a pellet comes out and sometimes a little bit more but at least once or twice a day it's a normal amount. I am taking also Celexa and Desipramene. My pain is better but not gone. I am not sure if it's the medication or the IBS taking a little break. I am just wonderting if it's still typical to have frequency but not D or C. Anybody has that ?

#7 ·
Yep, some IBSers have small frequent bowel movements of relatively normal consistancy. I think it is a factor of the rectal hypsensitivity. You get the "gotta go" signal when the rectum is only a little full rather than it wating until it has the usual amount of stuff in it before sending the signal. IBSers can get pain or urgency at lower than normal rectal fill amounts.The drugs you are on should be helping to normalize things, you can't base IBS on what your symptoms are when medicated, it is more what they were like without treatment that is telling.K.

#8 ·
Maybe the medication do help me and it's not just "a good phase". I am almost scared to think positive because I am worried I will be dissapointed again. I actually don't have the urgency. Sometimes I sit 25 minutes on the toilet and still I am not relieved. I guess that's typical, right? I am still left with bad flatuance and sometimes gas pain and left sided abdominal pain (not extrem pain, just annoying). My doctor said that it's rare that the symphtoms will go away completly. Have you heard that too ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.