Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a frustrating year for me as I'm sure it has been for all of you here. I am a 20 year old male college student struggling with some symptons that seem related to IBS. My doctor first made the diagnosis this summer and claimed I had IBS. Fast forward to January, I met with my stepfather's cousin, who happens to be one of the top GI doctors in the country. After describing my story to him, he tells me the verdict: "It's nothing." To his knowledge, I did not have IBS. As you can probably guess, I disagree with him, or at least I disagree with the fact that I'm OK. I don't know if it would help detailing my experience from the summer until now, but I can tell you I've tried a number of medications/supplements such as Miralax, Citracel, suppositories, Benefiber tablets, Metamucil (got an allergic reaction) and colace. Miralax and citracel worked temporarily but did not consistently solve the problem. Here are the symptons I am undergoing:Bloating, especially after I go in the morning and after dinner.Inability to have a complete bowel movement.Mucus in stool.Lack of sex drive.Thin stools.Inability to feel emptied after urination.Sensitivity to coldness. I had the heater on most of the time at my dorm. My roommate thought I was crazy. I thought he was crazy.Loss of apetite. I don't realize how hungry I am until I begin eating. I can go through half the day without eating nowadays.Frequent urges to go to the bathroom.However, one of the main symptons the GI doctor believes I'm missing to diagnosis it as IBS is pain. Is it that necessary?The closest thing to relieving my symptons was Miralax. I took it at night and then first thing the next morning I would go. In five minutes I would get rid of about 60-70% of stool I probably had in me. I still felt the urge afterwards, but when I ignored it, I was fine for the rest of the day. This was in August. After I ran out of Miralax and curious to see what would happen next, my sypmtons returned. Actually, they were worse and different this time around. It wasn't until I returned from the first semester did I see the GI doctor who prescribed Miralax again, only this time it had no effect at all.This problem has become so nagging that I decided to take a leave of absence from my school. I hope to figure out this mess soon and return to my normal life. I appreciate any feedback you may have. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain or discomfort is required in the diagnostic criteria, but it could be another Functional Bowel problem and most of those are "that can't be diagnosed as IBS" in the description.Have you had a regular physical with your thyroid and everything checked, as the cold thing probably isn't IBS.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.