Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allI'm joining this forum after months of problems and wondering if I have IBS.I've always had problems with excess wind and stomach pains which are mostly made worse by stress. These problems have gotten a lot worse in the last few months. I almost constantly have stomach cramps and nausea, especially first thing in the morning. Sometimes the nausea is mixed in with starving hunger which is confusing, because whenever I try to eat breakfast, I feel like I'm going to be sick. It jumps from one extreme to the other. As well as that I often feel as though I need to go to the toilet when I don't.The cramps and wind are affecting my work as well. I work in a small quiet office with one other person which is a nightmare! It's a good job too, easy and well paid, it's just my stomach that is making it unbearable to go in. even if I hold it in, it makes loud embarrassing noises and I just don't know what to do. I drank peppermint tea for a while which helped, but now it doesn't have the same effect as it used to. I've recently tried peppermint oil capsules which have only made me feel more sick and given me heartburn. They have made no difference to wind/digestion. I eat the same foods day in day out, I know which foods trigger a violent reaction and I avoid them like the plague. Despite this, every so often it flares up for no reason whatsoever and it's extremely frustrating to the point that I'm crying before work.I don't really want to go to the doctor because I find it hard to talk face to face about this kind of thing. A couple of years ago I had depression and when I finally got round to seeing someone about it, I blamed the contraceptive pill just because I couldn't explain my feelings.I don't know what I'm looking for here. Confirmation maybe, advice, help tips? Anything please, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like IBS, but at least get regular physicals with some routine blood work as that will catch most of the not-IBS things that can go wrong.You might see if the doctor will do a screening test for celiac disease. That can cause a lot of the same kind of GI problems as IBS and can cause longer term more serious problems (weak bones, anemia) so you want to rule that out.However most of what you describe sounds very much like IBS. Peppermint can ease pain (won't change gas volume) but too much can cause heartburn. It relaxes the gut and that includes the sphincter that keeps the acid where it belongs. Fennel tea, or chewing a few seeds is more common a gas thing.Probiotics (friendly bacteria, acidophilus types of things, there are several brands people like and you can check out the probiotic forum on that) can also help with gas, and some people do OK with Gas-X or other simethicone preparations, but it only works where it is located in the gut so you might need to do 3-4 days of taking one with each meal to see if it makes a difference (and longer if you tend to have come and go).Food is NOT in anyway the only trigger for symptoms. How well you slept last night and other physical stresses as well as emotional state and mental strain all play a role in how bad any given day is with IBS.If you are interested in some mind-body work and won't see anyone check out the CBT and hypnotherapy forum and read up on "Mikes Tapes" as that is an at home program that helps a lot of people calm the IBS down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are lots of pages on this forum for you to read about peoples symptoms.It could be IBS.However what any responsible person will tell you you MUST get yourself checked out. It may be something far more sinister. If they cant find anything they will probably tell you its IBS and then you will have lots of other issues alltogether.1. Go to doctor and see if they can diagnose something.2. If they tell you its IBS come back on here for advice.I wouldnt worry about doctors if I were you. Everyone on this forum has probably had their dignity compromised more times than they can remember. But its never as bad as you think its going to be. They might not be able to tell you whats wrong but they tell you whats not wrong and that is worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for you replies. I will definitely try fennel tea as soon as possible, even if it's just for a short term fix.I do know I need to get round to going to the doctor. The hardest part is walking through the door!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.