Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new in here, not sure where to start really. I've had ABS for around 30 years but lately it's getting more frequent especially in the winter I'm 69 by the way. I do find if I can get out on my mountain bike a few times a week it keeps it under control, but winter make's it difficult hence the symptoms more frequent. I would like to know if anyone else has found a link between exercise and IBS. Although some exercises make it worst like swimming, or lifting heavy weights. It seems one has to be constantly on the move with no time to relax or it gets worst.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heya Milo, welcome fellow newbie.

i have seem to realise the same as you that with some exercise i feel better like when playing basketball or soccer where your body is not relaxed so you rarely need to go, and probably due to abit of dehydration too so your body doesnt poop as easily. Once relaxed after and catching up on drinking liquid, then poop starts moving again but more as a solid instead of soft which is a win.

Swimming in pools and beach wreaks havoc on my body after unfortunately, since chemicals/salt is absorbed through your skin.

winter is probably to do with 2 things, 1 sharp change in weather makes your body shrivel when you step outside, instantly making you feel like wanting to go to the loo, 2 probably wanting to relax at home so body not prepared to go out, so once you do decide to go out, the anxiety of going out kicks in and makes u feel like going to the loo

keep up the riding as its probably best way to keep fit at moderate/constant intensity which is best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heya Milo, welcome fellow newbie.

i have seem to realise the same as you that with some exercise i feel better like when playing basketball or soccer where your body is not relaxed so you rarely need to go, and probably due to abit of dehydration too so your body doesnt poop as easily. Once relaxed after and catching up on drinking liquid, then poop starts moving again but more as a solid instead of soft which is a win.

Swimming in pools and beach wreaks havoc on my body after unfortunately, since chemicals/salt is absorbed through your skin.

winter is probably to do with 2 things, 1 sharp change in weather makes your body shrivel when you step outside, instantly making you feel like wanting to go to the loo, 2 probably wanting to relax at home so body not prepared to go out, so once you do decide to go out, the anxiety of going out kicks in and makes u feel like going to the loo

keep up the riding as its probably best way to keep fit at moderate/constant intensity which is best
Thanks for your reply and I totally agree with all that you mentioned. It seems best to be occupied at something or it creeps back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts