Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I used to post about a year ago but stopped because my symptoms let up but now they are back again and even worse than before. Let me first say that I have not been diagnosed with anything......but I have nowhere else to turn for answers. Three weeks ago tonight I ended up in the hospital. I went in to the er because of severe lower left stomach pain.....very severe. After an xray it was found that I was 100% blocked. So after the biggest enemia I had ever seen and no relief I was admitted. The next day was given 3 more enemias with a little relief. I had a lower gi scheduled for the next day so spent the night trying to clear out my system with all those wonderful oral drugs. Right before the gi series they tok another xray and found that I was still blocked in the large intestine. They wanted to see the small intestine so went ahead with the test. The day before I had a ct scan and it showed that I have a "thickening of my small intestine". The doctors could give me no reason why and would not even make a guess as to what this could mean. I wish they had said that it was inflamed because inflamation has a chance of going down but a thickening implies that it is there to stay....which really scares me. Since I have been out of the hospital I have not had one day that I could say I felt good. And this last weekend was really bad again. Spent saturday in the er again but found out nothing and was sent home with vicoden for the pain. I have gotten to the point that I do not eat because everytime I do I am in severe pain again. Up until today I had not had a movement for 6 days and was oh so sore but decided to try a little dinner. Right after I ate the old pains set in and I was sent running for the bathroom.....with just a little relief....very small movement. So as I sit here I am experiencing severe pain in the lower right side of my back and across the whole lower stomach. I am about at the end of my ropes with trying to deal with this. And I do not get into see the gastro until the end of the month.....even taking a deep breath hurts my stomach and my back.......I am fed up with all of this. Does anyone have any ideas about all this and has anyone heard of the walls of the small intestines being thickened????? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.Am looking forward to reading your answers in the am!Thanks again, Shari

·
Registered
398 Posts
i've never heard of thickening of the walls of the SI. maybe the muscles in the SI are working extra hard to push the food into the colon where there was blockage. The muscle could have gotten thicker as a result. It sounds like you have a slow motility problem in the colon, although I'm not a doctor. It could really be anything. I'm sorry that you're in so much pain.You have my support and prayers

·
Registered
398 Posts
i've never heard of thickening of the walls of the SI. maybe the muscles in the SI are working extra hard to push the food into the colon where there was blockage. The muscle could have gotten thicker as a result. It sounds like you have a slow motility problem in the colon, although I'm not a doctor. It could really be anything. I'm sorry that you're in so much pain.You have my support and prayers

G

·
TO MOVE YOUR BOWELS TAKE 2 OR 3 TABLESPOONFULS OF MILK OR MAGNESIA, 9 GLASSES OF WATER, EAT PRUNES, FIGS, KIWI, BRAN---OR TAKE MIRALEX OR KRYSTALOSE(LACTULOSE LIQUID NOW POWDER0) TO SEE IF YOUR SMALL BOWEL IS MOVING OK YOU CAN TELL YOUR DR. TO PERFORM A SITZ MARKER TEST OR TAKE A RADIOACTIVE CAPSULE AND TWO EGGS WITH TECHNICIAN SCAN AND THEN FOLLOW THIS FOR 36 HOURS THIS WILL TELL HOW YOUR YOUR MOTILITY IS. I WOULD NOT WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT THICKENING OF SB-- CLEAN YOURSEL AND GET A COLONOSCOPY AND BLOOD WORK(SMAC CBC CEA)LUCK------------------

G

·
TO MOVE YOUR BOWELS TAKE 2 OR 3 TABLESPOONFULS OF MILK OR MAGNESIA, 9 GLASSES OF WATER, EAT PRUNES, FIGS, KIWI, BRAN---OR TAKE MIRALEX OR KRYSTALOSE(LACTULOSE LIQUID NOW POWDER0) TO SEE IF YOUR SMALL BOWEL IS MOVING OK YOU CAN TELL YOUR DR. TO PERFORM A SITZ MARKER TEST OR TAKE A RADIOACTIVE CAPSULE AND TWO EGGS WITH TECHNICIAN SCAN AND THEN FOLLOW THIS FOR 36 HOURS THIS WILL TELL HOW YOUR YOUR MOTILITY IS. I WOULD NOT WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT THICKENING OF SB-- CLEAN YOURSEL AND GET A COLONOSCOPY AND BLOOD WORK(SMAC CBC CEA)LUCK------------------

G

·
ShariSo sorry you are in so much pain. I was told that vicoden is a narcotic and can be a cause of constipation. Don't sound to me that is what you need at this time. Did you ever try to just drink hot water to get your bowels going? Don't know what there is about it but, it is harmless and works for some people.Best wishes.------------------L.B.

G

·
ShariSo sorry you are in so much pain. I was told that vicoden is a narcotic and can be a cause of constipation. Don't sound to me that is what you need at this time. Did you ever try to just drink hot water to get your bowels going? Don't know what there is about it but, it is harmless and works for some people.Best wishes.------------------L.B.

G

·
When I had my colonscopy they found that I had thickening in the right side of my colon, of course, per the story I will post below that was the least of my worries. I am going into see my surgeon again probably this week and I do plan on asking him more specifically about that then and also hope while they do the surgery they will look closer at the rest of my colon so I will get back to you on this. Please read my story though. From what I understand complete blockage is not at all good and I would try to get in to see the GI sooner. Call every day to see if there has been a cancellation that you can fill. Good luck. The one difference is that my pain never was in a different place, it was always in the same area. I hate to say this also but I really don't trust the people who read the colonoscopy, as per my story. Maybe you should ask for a second opinion and have someone else look at the colonoscopy. My story:I have to wonder if all of you have had the proper test done to determine what is causing the pain. I only say that because my life has been riddled with pain for over 1 1/2 years now and the pain was crippling. Fortunately for me, on Friday they found the bizarre reason for my pain. It is extremely unusual but I was in a bad a accident 3 years ago where I had broken ribs which also punctured my lung. We now find that it also punctured my diaphragm. My colon has ended up working it's way and has slipped into the hole in my diaphragm, worked it's way almost to my heart and has twisted before coming back down. I should have surgery in about 3 weeks where they possibly have to open my chest to get to my heart. I was at first hearing IBS as a possibility. That is when I started reading this site. They actually even took out my galbladder in April of this year but the attacks were still coming and even were getting worse. I had a lot of left shoulder pain but always thought that was from the accident only now to find out that 100% of it is from my colon. They have ended up taking a cat scan which whoever read the cat scan only noticed that the walls on my right side of my colon seem to be thickening. For whatever reason he didn't even notice the mass developing by my heart. Then I had a colonoscopy where my GI totally could not get thru my colon. There was still not a lot of concern and I heard that I could possibly have a partial blockage so they recommended a barium enama which is where they finally discovered that my colon runs up my left side. They couldn't even get the barium into the right side so the x-rays that I have seen are even more bizarre looking because my colon goes up but it doesn't come down which of course it does but it doesn't show it. My life has been pure hell and I read on this site other people who are suffering from some of the same things, such as pain, a lot of gas, and constipation. The moral of my story is please make sure that all test that can be done are done and don't give up because as I found out I was not crazy!!! There really could be something wrong. I don't believe that truly severe pain is part of IBS. You shouldn't either!! ------------------

G

·
When I had my colonscopy they found that I had thickening in the right side of my colon, of course, per the story I will post below that was the least of my worries. I am going into see my surgeon again probably this week and I do plan on asking him more specifically about that then and also hope while they do the surgery they will look closer at the rest of my colon so I will get back to you on this. Please read my story though. From what I understand complete blockage is not at all good and I would try to get in to see the GI sooner. Call every day to see if there has been a cancellation that you can fill. Good luck. The one difference is that my pain never was in a different place, it was always in the same area. I hate to say this also but I really don't trust the people who read the colonoscopy, as per my story. Maybe you should ask for a second opinion and have someone else look at the colonoscopy. My story:I have to wonder if all of you have had the proper test done to determine what is causing the pain. I only say that because my life has been riddled with pain for over 1 1/2 years now and the pain was crippling. Fortunately for me, on Friday they found the bizarre reason for my pain. It is extremely unusual but I was in a bad a accident 3 years ago where I had broken ribs which also punctured my lung. We now find that it also punctured my diaphragm. My colon has ended up working it's way and has slipped into the hole in my diaphragm, worked it's way almost to my heart and has twisted before coming back down. I should have surgery in about 3 weeks where they possibly have to open my chest to get to my heart. I was at first hearing IBS as a possibility. That is when I started reading this site. They actually even took out my galbladder in April of this year but the attacks were still coming and even were getting worse. I had a lot of left shoulder pain but always thought that was from the accident only now to find out that 100% of it is from my colon. They have ended up taking a cat scan which whoever read the cat scan only noticed that the walls on my right side of my colon seem to be thickening. For whatever reason he didn't even notice the mass developing by my heart. Then I had a colonoscopy where my GI totally could not get thru my colon. There was still not a lot of concern and I heard that I could possibly have a partial blockage so they recommended a barium enama which is where they finally discovered that my colon runs up my left side. They couldn't even get the barium into the right side so the x-rays that I have seen are even more bizarre looking because my colon goes up but it doesn't come down which of course it does but it doesn't show it. My life has been pure hell and I read on this site other people who are suffering from some of the same things, such as pain, a lot of gas, and constipation. The moral of my story is please make sure that all test that can be done are done and don't give up because as I found out I was not crazy!!! There really could be something wrong. I don't believe that truly severe pain is part of IBS. You shouldn't either!! ------------------

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
IBS can cause severe unbearable pain for sure.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
IBS can cause severe unbearable pain for sure.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.