Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally went to see a GI office, where I was seen by an NP. When talking to her about my symptoms (which I no longer have since being on VSL3) and mentioned that twice in my life I've seen blood. I was diagnosed with IBS this year, and the symptoms that I used to have were: narrow stools (which come and go now), some constipation, and what mostly occured was the bloating, cramping, and nausea, with maybe one or two times I saw blood in which both occurrances were combined with strain. Since being on the VSL3 I've had no abdominal cramps, or bloating, or nausea, the narrow stools come and go but for the most part, I rarely have straining and go about once (on occassions twice) a day every day.

When I went in to the GI office, I had recently found out I was pregnant so they weren't able to do any tests on me but she suggested getting a flex sig after the pregnancy. What I'm wondering is if it's absolutely necessary?? Because I've seen blood during times where I've strained and it's been bright red and maybe a couple times in my whole life? It seems like a stretch to have to do that, and I hate to say it but it's an expensive procedure from what I've seen too. Since I wasn't able to do anything at the office that day, I asked her "So if I'm not in pain, and there's no blood, or anything seemingly alarming and I feel good is there any reason I should be concerned?" and she said, no. So if I'm still feeling great and no pains etc, why would she reccomend the flex sig?? From what I understand, IBS can cause you to have hemmorhoids from time to time from the strain alone and they can bleed.

I guess I just don't want to be stressing over this, and I feel like the only reason to have a flex sig done is to look for masses etc. and all that sounds scary! I am 32 years old, have no family history of cancer, my dad had some polyps removed a few years ago but besides that, nothing!

Anyone else feel like this could be a bogus unnecessary reccomendation or am I just being stubborn?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Detects inflamation along GI tract from mouth to bottom obviously more sensitive for bowel. But do not take one if you have been taking PPI's or NSAID's with 2 weeks as this may cause false positive.

You would probably have had bloods done at some point including CRP or ESR both these look for inflamation but pick it up from anywhere, so for example if you have a cold your ESR may be up. Calprotectin is done on a stool sample so only checks for inflamation in GI tract, its mainly used to check for IBD but it is been used to screen for other bowel conditions too now. I've seen studys on the net by a Dr called James.Turvill at York Hospital UK which are quite interesting.

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.