Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
history of IBS (mostly stress related) and was on Naprosyn for an ankle injury for a week and then has serious upper stomach cramping. went off, took pepto, and 3 weeks later still have uncomfortable feeling.not sure if stress is causing the IBS to act up or still recovering from Naprosyn.similar experience?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was given Naprosyn about a year and a half ago, shortly before developing the symptoms of IBS. I had a torn ligament in my calf which was extremely painful--I couldn't walk without crutches for two months. However, the Naprosyn left me in terrible pain from constipation. So I quit taking it. I decided I would rather have my calf hurt than be chronically constipated. I do remember that it took a little while for it to completely leave my system, but not 3 weeks. BTW, I am an IBS-d.Jane

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
bamboo, were you diagnosed with IBS?

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
It can cause stomach irritation (which is separate from IBS) you may need to talk to the doctor. If the stomach lining is irritated taking and acid reducer (prescrip or OTC, may be what is needed).I had gnawing hunger from NSAID use after some injuries last year and it took about 5 months of Nexium to get it completely healed up.If the stomach irritation is bad enoug you can get an ulcer, so this is really something that needs to be run past the doctor to see if you need testing/medication to heal up your stomach.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your advice. Three years ago I was in a car accident, mega stress, 3 months later I was having nausea, etc., thought they found a lump in my stomach, had a catscan, nada. The doc said IBS (and related to Post Traumatic Stress) is probably it. Symptomatic C, mucus, occasional pain and D, you know the story. Exercise and trying to reduce stresses in my life help my IBS. I know it's real, but sometimes I think I make it worse with psychosomatic symptoms and overall obsession with it.As for the Naprosyn, it's a whole new feeling - burning and a gnawing in the upper stomach between rib cages. Going to go to the doc tomorrow, as I think my stomach is severely irritated. No other symptoms, though. That's good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.