Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and good morning. I was wondering if any oneelse is obsessed in the can. For me I HAVE to have at least 2 rolls of T. Paper in there, a wet wash cloth placed just "so" on the sink, the cordless phone in there, and I actually have a stop watch and click it when I start going and stop it when I'm done!! I have always thought this crazy and have tried to eliminate one thing or the other and I FREAK!!! Also, does anyone else have troble RELAXING during a BM??? Even if I don't have D, I get in there and just cannot relax. I do deep breathing and focus on a spot on the wall (that i put there) and then of course time myself knowing it will only take up to X amount of time at the worst. Am I the only one who does this and maybe I need help??? Next time I see my shrink I may ask him. My Social Worker, who I have to help me out here and there (moral)because I live alone said to do what I have to do to get by. But if I could relax???Any one else have this weird problem?? I'm scared it's gonna go to obsession with EVERYTHING!!! Hope I'm not alone..but then again I hope no one else has to do this.DebOH OH..just thought of something. When I go out I have my stop watch with me so I KNOW how long it takes da de da. What next? Gulp.------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.[This message has been edited by brksmom (edited 11-13-2000).]

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My obsession is that there has to be a bathroom within sprinting distance at all times. Otherwise, I freak! I'm usually not very fussy about what the facilities are like once I get there, though--I'm just grateful for any port in a storm. I agree with Miss Patience about possible OCD. Your IBS is a source of anxiety for you (as it is for all of us), and the rituals give you a sense of control over a scary and unpredictable disorder. But problems can occur if the rituals start controlling YOU--you HAVE to perform them or else you become intensely anxious, and they start taking up more and more of your time. OCD runs in my family, and I have a tendency toward it when I'm under stress. So far I've been able to control it with cognitive techniques--these can be just as effective as medication in many cases. Ask your psychologist.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is a difference between OCD and having an obsessive personality. OCD would have you obsess about many other things not just your bathroom ritual.I find the older I get the more I seem to focus on the weirdest things. I know that you should practice to relax and but things are always easier said than done. Try discussing this with your therapist or your doctor, if she/he is the kind that will listen. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Actually, the bathroom rituals aren't the obsession--they're the compulsion. It's common for OCD people to have many anxieties, but manifest only one or a few repetitive behaviors. Two members of my family are compulsive hand-washers. Under stress, I tend to want to count things or check and re-check (e.g., "Did I REALLY turn off the iron, or just think I did?). Also, the disorder can be severe (washing your hands hundreds of times a day) or mild (being extra careful about avoiding germs).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Zig,Ok if the bathroom thing is the compulsive part...what is the obsession??? Gee did I say that right?? I know when I'm really stressed, I'm always a little stressed, I too keep checking things. Geeze before I leave the house I check 3 times for my keys and check book and then again when I get in the car. I dunno.------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I sort of have an obsession. Like I do NOT like to use any bathroom other than my own, unless I just HAVE to. (Never leaving home takes care of that problem, LOL!!) On occasions when I DO need to use the restroom at someone else's home, or even in a store if I am shopping with somebody, I really freak out because sometimes it takes a LONG TIME for me to finish. I'm talking sometimes 20 minutes

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No, I am not obsessed about my toilet activities (except, yes, I always "look" to see how abnormal things look in the bowl, ya know
). However, I can understand how some IBSers could develop obsessions and esp. anxiety. Luckily, I usually have to "go" only right when I get up from bed -- so I run to the bathroon then. If I stick with my bland diet, I typically (but, no, not always) don't have to go again til the next morning. I can't relate to what you're saying, especially the bit about the stopwatch. But I understand how IBS can be so devastating at times. Have you tried the hypnotherapy, which many people here have liked? Maybe you need to try to train yourself to be a bit less obsessive (easier said than done, right?).[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 11-15-2000).]

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm don't know brksmom, but the obsession might relate to IBS, and losing control, in some way. If you don't do the bathroom rituals, what anxious thoughts pop into your head? This should give you some clue.BTW, AMMcCall--not to be a vocabulary stickler, but I'd classify your avoidance of public restrooms as a PHOBIA. Although, given the filthy state many of them are in, it could just be COMMON SENSE! (lol) Wondering about what others think because you're in there so long sounds like a kind of social phobia. I know what you mean about being panicky when there's no restroom around--if I'm feeling kind of iffy to begin with, that's usually all it takes to set off an IBS attack. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
180 Posts
To clear up any confusion, compulsions are behaviors and obsessions are thoughts. When a person's life becomes significantly ruled by anxious repetitive thoughts and rigid, repetitive behavior they are likely to be suffering from OCD. When coping with a disorder as traumatic and unpredictable as IBS it is not too surprising that obsessions and compulsions would arise. If this is what you are experiencing it would be a good idea to get a definitive diagnosis and proper treatment, e.g. behavior therapy and/or medication. This also applies to any kind of anxiety symptoms, whether they be a generalized high anxiety or full-blown panic attacks. In regard to sitting on the john and worrying about what other people outside might be thinking, I say TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! If you are ill, you want to be talking to yourself in a calm, soothing manner so as to help your body to calm down. The outside world will survive. ------------------This input is provided solely for educational purposes and is not to be seen as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult a qualified professional about your personal medical needs and any questions you may have regarding this information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.