Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Just wondered if anyone else has had this or has an idea what it may be...I have noticed recently that one every day or two (normally in the afternoon/evening) I will have this short warm/burning type feeling in the right side of my tummy, below the ribs. Kind of like a short wave of warmth, kinda make me jump..!!?!Bit random I know but any ideas or insight?Thanks,

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ippo Many IBS'ers can have visceral hypersensitivity which means we may feel more things going on in there than the average non IBS'er. It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about though. So I would try to relax a bit about it if you can.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've had a similar feeling on the right side, just below or near my rib cage. Sort of feels like a dull, warm, gnawing feeling... it's right where the duodenum is, but in front of that organ (since I think the d. is retroperitoneal). It comes and goes rather quickly, and appears most commonly after I've eaten, but sometimes nowhere near a meal.???

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually gallbladder pain is 6-10 hours of severe pain when it goes off.Not an odd feeling for a few moment.You can't tell the gallbladder from the bend in the colon right next to it as there just aren't enough nerves.IBSers report all sorts of odd sensations, while they vary in description, none of them seem to indicate anything else going on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers, guess I was just asking as it is something of a new feeling/pain - I think...I will have to go back and see my GP at some point over the coming weeks to discuss my medication so if still experiencing these things will mention it. The consultant at the hospital I saw for my scopes said I can go back to him at any point if I want as I was under referal to him but I am trying to avoid a load of appointments. Since my referal by the GP, very early part of the year, I have not been back to GP.Oh the fun of it all....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this has new been pretty much going on most of this avo. on and off but with a dull warmth sort of feeling in between the sharper stronger hits of it.. I have had lots of left side pain before but not a great deal on the left. not sure if this feels like anything i have felt before, dont know if i can describe it is similar to anything really!!! Recon I may call the doc tomorrow... Hope it is nothing major.. Just when I have been getting myself into a better place mentally and physically I get this issue crop up!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw the doctor regarding this yesterday and to discuss my current medication.Re this issue he wants to do a blood test for my liver to see if anything is showing on that. He said it may be gallbladder related or may not and just pass off on its own. Said if continues and nothing can be confirmed on bloods may consider scan.The paid is still coming and going, but on occasions has lasted for longer - hour or so, just lingering and not 'normal' if that makes sence.Really nope this just goes on its own, cant be doing with a whole new set of testing and symptoms/issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BUMP BUMPHi all...Well I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago (liver/kidney and enzimes) due to this complaint. Called last week and results were all in normal range...Test was done two weeks ago today, and from towards the end of that week the complaint/pain seemed to clear up.. It may be relevant that I was off work on annual leave from that Friday until today, during that period all was ok, so I put it down to a 'blip' and was just getting on as normal.However, back at work today and the symptoms have kind of returned, albit not quite as bad but still noticable... Now when I got in I had a S*** load of emails and issues that I needed to attend to straight away and the benefit of being off for a week was soon gone! Stressed etc....I was wondering if there was any chance that I may be alergic to work
or if stress/work pressure could be playing a factor here..Any thoughts?Ta

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So would one think this is just another part of the world of IBS or something else perhaps? Majority of the pain, particually in the past has been on my left side, this was more recent and hence why doc did the bloods.. It is all a bit of a pain (literally) isnt it...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS causes pain and discomfort. Pain and discomfort is a MAJOR symptom of IBS. If you have a diagnosis of IBS you should expect a fair amount of pain and other discomforts (annoying but not exactly pain, like bloating).IBS is often one of the more painful of all the abdominal illnesses as well as being the most common.A lot of people seem to want it to be just totally painless diarrhea and/or constipation but it is not. Most of the time people would happily live with the stool issues and really thing the pain and discomfort is much more problematic and disruptive of all the IBS symptoms.I don't know what else I can say to convince you that IBS is a painful syndrome and it isn't odd for someone with a diagnosis of IBS to have pain. It is required they have pain before they get the diagnosis (or discomforts). You can still have a functional bowel problem without pain at all but that is much rarer and painless diarrhea is usually a symptom that means you need more testing because it may not be functional and it may be something other than IBS going on. Although it can be Functional Diarrhea, painless diarrhea is more often an organic issue, not a functional one.In summary. IBS causes pain.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Kathleen,I am not after being convinced that IBS causes pain. My history with this is mostly pain, started in my left side just under a year ago, was weeks, month and months of pain. 3/4 loose (not watery) bm's per day. Had lots of bloods, ultrasound at the beginning, stool test, endo and colon scopes (in Feb this year). Reason for this post is that location of the pain being new, and the type/sensation - just wondered if 'IBS' or poss anything else!?!.I totally agree that many could deal with the stool issues if it were to forgo any pain/discomfort, I know I could.Ippo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.