Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odourless farts:At one point in my life when I went to bed I would start to produce gas like no tomorrow...but it didn't smell. To me that doesn't make sense. Anyone had the same and has an explination.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
How they smell depends on which population of bacteria you have producing the gas.Methane producing bacteria produce methane which is odorless and usually if those are common in your colon then bacteria that produce Hydrogen sulfide (a stinky gas) are generally do not grow in there very well. They compete for some of the same resources and usually one or the other predominates. Some people have neither and their bacteria produce hydrogen or other non-smelly gases.K.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Count your blessings, uk77. I don't think you'd like to be in my bed.Kath,I understand that sulphide levels can be measured with a monitor that records concentration of hydrogen sulphide in the breath. But even if high levels were detected, I wonder what could be done to lower them.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I tend to get the smelly bacteria going good every so often, especially when I need to take a lot of Iron, and like some of the research showed I actually get good results with Pepto Bismol for the odorIt seems for me after couple of weeks I can stop and they stay away, and I do seem to get some help from probiotics, both in volume but in odor (probably because if I get them going really well they eat enough that there isn't so much left over to make odor with).K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.