Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after my colonoscopy today my gastro told me that he found nothing (which is good) and that the only thing left to go to is IBS. he said that sometimes just the colonoscopy itself helps with some of the symptoms (no clue how that works, he didnt know either) but that if i think i actually need medication to call him or my pediatrician for some. if i think i need medication?? thats almost the whole reason why i did the colonoscopy to rule out everything else and get something done about this. he was really grey about it too, no black and white lines. of course i want medication!! im not going to go on like i was before with constant D and tummy troubles!! in a couple of days im going to call because im sure the colonoscopy isnt going to fix anything. gosh why do doctors act like they want to help you sometimes but are so vague about it???

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm sorry that you feel so frustruated. In actuality, there are some physicians who really don't seem to know much about treatment plans, unfortunately. You should have a physician that you trust, whom you have confidence in and one who has empathy and truly would like to see you get some symptoms under control. So, finding a new doc might be in line for you, if that's possible.What are your symptoms? D all the time? Are you wanting to control other symptoms -- do you have G (gas), P (pain) C (constipation)? There are different routes to treating each of these.The most information I have ever received about this syndrome is right here -- Not only a lot of good information about the workings of our bodies, but also "testimonials" from a lot of people about what works for them, what might not work. I proudly say that I have myself on a treatment plan, have picked my own meds, both over the counter and prescription. If I decide to try something different, it's probably going to be suggestions that I see from others in this group. As an example, at my last dr. appointment, my physician (who I really do like) said, there's a new med called Zelnorm. Yep. I already know. She said there's also another one for D, Lotronex. Yep. I already know. And, I know enough about each of those (from reading here thankfully), that neither would probably work for me (I'm both C AND D).To say it quickly, read as much as you can here. It's a great source of info. as you begin to get things under control.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Smp, My first doc was like yours! I felt like he had no clue? And some of is double talk was to reassure me that there is nothing wrong!Lets think about this, Im 33 with bad belly pains, bad gas,noisey stomach,major d, cant make it to the bathroom, bad lower right pain and to top it off the worst rectal spasm pain in my life!i TOLD HIM "THANKS FOR YOUR TIME" AND FOUND A BETER DOCTOR. this new doc is like my superman! I think when in doubt confuse the patient and collect the copay and just let that one go!mykel

G

·
If you have been diagnosed with IBS, this is just a general FYI that you may find helpful for diarrhea: http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/med...stion.htm#treat You may also want to visit the medication forum at on this board to learn about antispasmodics: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=33 The CBT/Hypno Forum on this board also provides helpful information related to relaxation therapies which have a proven track record and for whom many people with IBS may achieve significant relief of their symptoms, particularly diarrhea: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=11 Hope this helps, Evie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been living with this since I was a teenager and in graduate school it was really, really bad. I'm sure I'd never have gotten through my orals if I hadn't been tanked up on Immodium. In short, I feel your pain, smp92701, but now I'm ni my 30s and with behavior modification therapy, relaxation techniques and now Caltrate, I live nearly a normal life. So there is hope. You may want to try Calcium carbonate and read this book called "Breaking The Bonds of Irritable Bowel Syndrome" which helped me enormously.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi SMP....Before jumping to any conclusions as to what your treatmet regimen needs to be, drug or otherwsie, I have (2) suggestions if this is as far as the physician can take you...
1. get a second opinion...the oter doctor may be more aggressive about your symptoms and possess a broader therapeutic view and2. read this book....its cheap compreehensive and easy to understand...oh its helpful tooIBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/088...3369143-6824157 MNL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts