Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and i've read a few posts. It's good to know i'm not alone! I was wondering, What causes IBS? what can be done to cure this problem? Is there a cure? If not.. what can i do to help keep it out of my life because it's gone so far as to effect the decisions i make for my daily life = PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
What causes IBS? I don't know, I don't think anyone really knows. Mine I believe started with two years of heavy use of painkillers, arthritis meducations, and steroids for an injury. Some have had it start after an illness or antibiotic use. As for a cure, I haven't seen anything that "cures" us. People have used a lot of different things to control their symptoms from flavanoids and other natural supplements, to hypnosis and medication. Sometimes watching what you eat helps. My recommendation is to read as many posts as you can and ask questions, the people on here are pretty good and have a lot of good ideas. There's a lot of trial and error with this. Try everything you can. It affects the daily life for almost all of us.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Welcome!There is no definitive cause of IBS - some folks have it as a result of gastroenteritis, once the infection is gone, the symptoms of IBS remain. Basically it is a motility disorder - and nothing abnormal is found with testing, but in how the digestive system functions.There is no known cure for IBS, but there are many medications, supplements, and coping tools that help folks reduce or eliminate their symptoms. I have had IBS over 20 years and have been on just about everything there is. I attended a seminar tonight and the gastro there said that many people ask him for a pill to take to make it go away. He says it doesn't work that way, and that there are other things that can be done before taking pills.Read the posts here as honugirl mentions - there are some great suggestions. For Diarrhea, calcium is found to be helpful for many, also OTC Imodium helps some folks, also take a peek at the links below for what helped me that I found out about when I first came to this BB - clinical hypnotherapy - and this for me, was as a last resort, but stopped the D attacks for me.Let us know if you have any questions - we are all here to help... Take care.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Mine seems to be related to cigarettes, drinking, and diet. IBS & GERD were endproducts of a long deterioration of upper and lower GI.I am lucky to be one of those for whom supplements have worked tremendously. Make a list of what has worked for others, set aside some amount you can afford on a monthly basis, and start in. Give everything a month or two to see if it works or not. At some point you will come across some things that help. Don't take no for an answer!Welcome.Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, i think drinking helps mine. It takes my mind off it and i think a large part of my problem is in my head. Whenever i am at a place with no bathroom, i get worried, and therefore i have it. I think i my try hypnosis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can also try relaxation acupuncture treatments.I had one on friday, and while I still have D, it's been perfectly under control and with no discomfort throughout the weekend. Even though I had a vegetable sald for lunch! (and tomatoes are a major no-no for me).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.