Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,I am really freaking right now.... I have noticed in my stool I have little black specks, can notice it when cleaning up.. What can this be? I am scared it is blood, would blood look like this? I get pain in my left hand side.Ippo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Blood is usually thick tarry patches if it has gotten to the black stage, not little specks. And then only when the bleeding is high in the GI tract (like the stomach)Probably something you ate that had some seeds or seasoning in it that didn't get chewed up and doesn't dissolve on its own.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have noticed it for a number of days now, but not sure if it has always been like that or not. generally my stool is on the lighter side of drown, depending on what i eat, so any dark bits show up. the best way i can describe it would be like looking like bits of grit, some bigger than others. if i can isolate a bit on the paper it can crumble down almost sometimes, not all the time, kind of in a charcole sort of colour/texture... by tarry do you mean something that still have some moisture to it also, gooey almost? as oppose to dry.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IPPO, step away from the stools.No point getting all flipped out over things that are most likely from your diet and the lighter the background stool color the easier it is to see any seeds or bits of dried herb or whatever else that is specky in your food.Close analysis of the stools never really seems to do anyone any good. It is a way for the anxiety to keep itself reved up. If you can't see a big blob of something in a couple of second scan of the toilet it really isn't worth checking the stool closely or analyzing the residue on the paper.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Kathleen is right. I do not bother looking at stools.. never have. Nothing valuable can be learned by ME examining them. And I woudl think the same is correct for you... unless you are a scientist and know how to do stool analysis.Stop looking.. it is obviously upsetting you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks both,I know over examining is prob not a good idea... Had an appointment with my doc this avo and he has referred me to a GI doc, I have PMI at work so will look to use this. I am having repeat blood test done next week for full count so will have appointment after results are in, had my last bloods done July time last year. Will have to make sure I note everything I want to discuss and how and when I have felt my symtpoms.For the time being I will try not to obsess and freak out..Thanks again.Ippo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts