Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
To be honest with you that sounds like what i go through.First stool (AM) is fine then i get an urge to go again 10 - 15mins later and its skinny.I have never got an answer to "Is it normal?" My doc says everything is normal.I wouldn't be too worried at all

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Yep IBS can do this...and it is pretty much meaningless, although everyone tends to look much more than usual and get worried. (Actually the full range is from baby rabbit pellets, through hard large boulders through well formed, through thin and soft through broken up through watery diarrhea....it sounds like you have part of the range, every day is a new adventure in stool
with IBS)Even normal people sometimes have a variety of stool widths.The only time it is of any concern is if it becomes pencil thin and stays that way. Because that may indicate something blocking the hole in the center of the rectum/lower colon.Normally stool is stored in the rectum and it gets widened up there. If that "holding" period isn't long enough (like when you go just after you go) the stool will be thinner than if it had been stored for longer.K.

· Registered
6,709 Posts
Yeah this post and her response should be flagged as required reading for all IBS patients...its another one of those things that are a source of constant worry to so many people...looking for signs of danger behind every outhouse, er, tree.Maybe, and I mean this honestly, it should be duplicated and put in the Frequently Asked Questions area...as it is aske so frequently of me in private mails etc I could just giev them the url...in fact I will to this thread right here.MNL

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Ah yes, the old "storage" problem. Some days one just stores longer than others. Actually Mike, It probably would be better if it were outhouses..... Who could see anything in there? LOLYep folks, it means you are a member of the human race. It is just that since we have IBS, we tend to notice these little variations more than average bears. So you could say a we have a keener observation of contents of the bowel oops bowl.No worries.
BQ

· Registered
459 Posts
K, or anyone elseI expect this has been covered before & maybe it's a common occurence & I should know the answer but do you know what causes a person to 'go' once & then again 15 mins later (not D. or 'boulders'(!). I can do this sometimes about 4 times in an hour, usually first thing in the morning or ocassionally last thing at night. Since cutting out fats, insoluble fibre & following Heathers IBS diet it's got better(I have UC not IBS). I mentioned it to my doc' & consultant but they didn't comment. I did put up a post about this on the IBD board & a few people suffered the same but didn't seem to know why. I've loads of info & literature about my condition but nothing about this. Is it a colon spasm or something? Any info would be great.Thanks.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
I think that what happens is that you get a "move things along" signal that lasts longer, or is stronger than it takes to get 1 BM out.The colon has a rhythm. It is the most active right after you get up and then again after each meal.I don't think the signal gets shut off when you have a BM. So if the morning increase lasts for 60 minutes, for example (I don't know how long they last, but lets just say it is for some time). Now especially if your colon over-responds a bit and/or your rectum is really prone to want to dump NOW rather than wait to be filled all the way up. You may have a BM before the activity increase is done, so more stuff goes into the rectum, and if it responds to filling by saying go NOW you could get a series of BM's during the period of increased activity.K.

· Registered
1,955 Posts
I personally don't think there is anything to worry about. Mine change all the time. Someday I wouldn't be surprised if they came out in the shape of a detailed sculpture.
Jeanne

· Registered
220 Posts
I actually read recently in an IBS book that those thin stools that give the appearance of being squeezed out of a tube are a sign of IBS spasms. It makes sense that if your bowel is spasming a lot, it will alter the width and actual outer texture of the stool. Don't know how accurate this is but I thought I'd pass it along.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.